Marbled Votives

HI!! Could someone help me with this? I have a fo called kalidescope and thought that marbled votives would be really cool.

I understand melt wax, scent it, let it cool down, then add drop of colors stir gently to mix, then this is where it gets fuzzy... glop into votive molds then beat on counter to make it fit? then hit with heat gun, how do you know how long to do this? now that this is all done, how do i do the tops? Also I don't know if I can locate any votive pins, will this cause problems?

Thanks for any help!!!

Cari

You basically got it! Personally, I really think you'll need wickpins because it'll be hard to keep a wick in place and straight. Or as an alternative just for experimenting, you can make it solid and use a drill bit to make the hole afterwards. I've done that before too. Just twist the bit with my fingers, not using a drill...lol. as for how long to zap the mold, you'll have to just try it and see. It will vary depending on how hot your heat gun is, how solid the wax gets, etc. Time to experiment ;)

Personally that's a lot of extra effort for a votive, but about the only solution is to pour a solid top. You can use any wax you want to make a votive since it's burned in a container. If you're using 1343, w/o additives it only has a 3% FO load. One thing I put in all my wax is ultraviolet to help with fading issues.

I have not actually made marbled votives, but I think they look cool. It's just a lot of work and mess for such little candles and potential profit IMO. I wouldn't think that there'd be much sinking though since the wax is pretty cool and solidifying by the time it's in the mold. You may not need a repour, not sure though. If you do feel the need to top them off, I was wondering how it'd look if you dipped the very tip of a toothpic in some dye and kinda lightly swirled a little color in the top? I'd think though that for it to work and not just end up making a solid color repour, you'd have to wait until the wax was the same consistancy as when you did the first pour. Just an idea. HTH

I think about wick pins everytime I place an order, but they just cost so much. I think I have 2, I will just have to hunt them down.

I want to try to figure these out to make a couple at a time to go with a pillar or 2...

I think it would be a pain to make all my votives like this but I still have to give it a try.

Cari

I make a few marbled flowerpot votives, but I use a different method. I pour at my normal temp and then use a toothpick dipped in dye to make the marbled look. I just swirl it around in the wax very briefly. When I repour, I do the same thing and it turns out well. If you swirl too long, you will end up with a solid color though. It really isn't that hard and it looks great. Might be something for you to try.