Mixing Fragrances

snowman

Would it be possible or feasible to purchase 10 to 15 base fragrances that you could use to mix a significant number of additional fragrances? If so, which 10 to 15 (or whatever the number might be) would you prefer?

Many thanks - J.Snow

Amber, Vanilla, Musk, Patchouli, Nutty Vetiver, Sweet Fruits, Citrons, Mints options, Tea Tree, Leather, Basil, Sage, Clove, Tomato Leaf, Anise, Bread smell, Cake smell, Linen/Cotton, Cedarwood/Sandalwood, Pine, Fresh Cut Grass, Dirt, Rose/Baby Powder, lilly, Cucumber, Ocean...and that's about it. I'm sure I forgot a few essentials.

If you have those, you can make darn near anything!

Edited by rctfavr3

I am too new to try mixing yet. I still make everything as is and mix just by adding additional tarts of another scent. Doing that until I trust myself to actually mix FO's.

My favorites to mix so far are Toasted Marshmallow, Birthday Cake, Sugar Cookie, Apple and Cinnamon.

I am too new to try mixing yet. I still make everything as is and mix just by adding additional tarts of another scent. Doing that until I trust myself to actually mix FO's.

My favorites to mix so far are Toasted Marshmallow, Birthday Cake, Sugar Cookie, Apple and Cinnamon.

you can always "Q-tip test" 3-5 scents into a single ziplock bag. And when opened the next day you'll see if your blend works or not. Could save you from making tart blends or wasting FOs unnecessarily.

...I bet the toasted marshmallow paired with the apple Cinnamon is nice!

Edited by rctfavr3

I love mixing FOs! Came up with 2 new fragrances that have quickly become my top sellers; one is a blend of 3 FOs, the other blend is made up of 4 oils.

In regards to which "basic" fragrances you should get, I think it depends on what you are trying to create, i.e. a clean scent, an oriental-type fragrance, an earthy one?

So many possibilities and so many oils :grin2:

Have fun and keep notes!

What Darbla Said! Definitely! I always forget about Eucalyptus. It's great for adding lift to a fragrance were Tea Tree would be too piercing. Black Pepper/ Pimento/ and Ginger are also my top favorites for adding a bit of spice sans the sweetness. They also work well as a fixative, marrying the top-middle-and base notes together.