Best NON buttery vanillas?

miagracie

After my disappointing first experience with Aztec, where so far ALL the vanilla and bakery scents are INSANELY buttery-who has vanilla and cakey, bakery scents that aren't buttery smelling.

Who would you reccomend and what scents? No almond, spice or nut notes either please. Sugary and cake (that actually smells like cake or frosting) notes are welcomed.

Aztec Buttercream had a clove/cinnamon note I didn't care for, so please no clove or cinnamon.

Thanks!

I agree that I would need to try some in wax.

That said some of my favorite "vanillas" are not named nor labeled as vanillas at all.

Toasted Marshmallow (RE/AH), Birthday Cake and Sugar Cookie (both from Peak) as examples. I can add and mix them with about anything. I also have some Peak French Vanilla but I have not put it in wax yet. OOB it has a warmer, more perfume like (less bakery) vanilla scent.

Unfortunately, because scent is SO variable, what smells less buttery to me may not be what you find less buttery at all.

Maybe bakery scents are supposed to be buttery and I'm just not used to thinking of them that way. I think of the sugar and vanilla mostly. Maybe it's because I don't use butter in baking and growing up mom & grandma didn't either. So it smells well, foreign, to me in bakery scents-like it's just not supposed to be there.

And I just can't do the cinnamon and spices. I can eat cinnamon in food but can't bear to eat (or smell) nutmeg, cloves, spice cake/allspice notes, etc. (I guess I'm just picky all around.)

I guess I'll have to skip bakery scents and hopefully find some sugary, vanilla white cake (with little to no butter in it or almond /spicy notes) or frosting scents if I can.

I did like the vanilla note under the spices in Aztec's Buttercream. It wasn't buttery just sugary vanilla. I tried to see if I could deal with the spices but the clove note just bothered me too much.

There was a bath and body etailer scent out (may still be?) called Twinkies that was perfect-it was hardly (if any) buttery but just a sweet sugary vanilla with white cake. This to me is what I think of with bakery scents.

I couldn't handle Bath & Body Works Vanilla Bean Noel due to the buttery notes but like Warm Vanilla Sugar for instance. Maybe I just don't like foody vanillas (but an extract scent without the boozy notes sounds lovely) but drier vanillas?

I really like BC's Vanilla Velvet. Not crazy about their FOs, but this one is really good. Here is the link

http://cart.candlesupply.com/Vanilla-Velvet™-pr-18447.html

hth:smiley2:

After my disappointing first experience with Aztec, where so far ALL the vanilla and bakery scents are INSANELY buttery-who has vanilla and cakey, bakery scents that aren't buttery smelling.

Who would you reccomend and what scents? No almond, spice or nut notes either please. Sugary and cake (that actually smells like cake or frosting) notes are welcomed.

Aztec Buttercream had a clove/cinnamon note I didn't care for, so please no clove or cinnamon.

Thanks!

Maybe bakery scents are supposed to be buttery and I'm just not used to thinking of them that way. I think of the sugar and vanilla mostly. Maybe it's because I don't use butter in baking and growing up mom & grandma didn't either. So it smells well, foreign, to me in bakery scents-like it's just not supposed to be there.

And I just can't do the cinnamon and spices. I can eat cinnamon in food but can't bear to eat (or smell) nutmeg, cloves, spice cake/allspice notes, etc. (I guess I'm just picky all around.)

I guess I'll have to skip bakery scents and hopefully find some sugary, vanilla white cake (with little to no butter in it or almond /spicy notes) or frosting scents if I can.

I did like the vanilla note under the spices in Aztec's Buttercream. It wasn't buttery just sugary vanilla. I tried to see if I could deal with the spices but the clove note just bothered me too much.

There was a bath and body etailer scent out (may still be?) called Twinkies that was perfect-it was hardly (if any) buttery but just a sweet sugary vanilla with white cake. This to me is what I think of with bakery scents.

I couldn't handle Bath & Body Works Vanilla Bean Noel due to the buttery notes but like Warm Vanilla Sugar for instance. Maybe I just don't like foody vanillas (but an extract scent without the boozy notes sounds lovely) but drier vanillas?

When I buy or am served a bakery item in which I can tell they did not use butter, I feel so cheated! It really makes me mad. I won't even buy it if I read the ingredients and there is no butter. It's interesting to me that there are people in this world who don't like the buttery taste and scent in baking FOs. Wow! I would think most customers would want it. But, I do like pure vanilla out of the bottle, which has no butter note. CS Very Vanilla is awesome.

Interesting. I've never detected the slightest hint of alcohol in CS Very Vanilla. It's funny how our noses are all so different.

I know! OOB VEry Vanilla has an off note to it but once it has a few days to set up in wax the amazing vanilla notes come out in this FO. So if you do smell it OOB I could see where someone will detect an alcohol note to it.

I was trying to think of sugary vanilla things that are not buttery, and I thought of Angel Food Cake; maybe you would like that. Here are search results for Angel Food Cake from FragranceOilFinder.com http://www.fragranceoilfinder.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=angel+food+cake&x=9&y=6

What about just Vanilla Sugar?

http://www.fragranceoilfinder.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=vanilla+sugar&x=0&y=0

Could you get away with using a Tonka Bean FO? They naturally have a high concentration of vanillin. Most of the suppliers incorporate a very strong Vanilla note in their blends anyway. The Vanilla smell isn't buttery but more of a sweet, slightly nutty smell. It might work well for your application?!

Vanilla Bean Supreme BCN

and Vanilla Delicious from Daystar

I agree with Carol K on the vanilla pods from c and s, but I don't order anything from them, so it doesn't make sense to get one oil there.

Also Candle Cocoon vanilla voodoo, but use less than 1 oz per LB wax, it is strong, its like CS very vanilla