Consignment to Wholesale ?

Jillsthings

I currently have my candles in a local floral shop on consignment. Sales have been slow since it's summer, and the store owner even said that she knew it would be slow. Once her walk-ins pick up in the fall, if candle sales get better, we might switch to wholesale. My question is; I've got a few things, like little shelves for the cup tarts and a rotating stand for my clamshells. I've also let her use one of my warmers. If we switch to wholesale, I'm not sure what to do with the display things I've been letting her use. Continue to let her use them? Have her buy them from me? Take them back for my own use at craft shows or other stores? We haven't really talked about it yet, so I'm just looking for some ideas of what others may have done or would do in this situation. Thanks!

That's tough. If you take the displays you run the risk of the owner not having an adequate way to display your wares, which would result in both of you losing money/sales. Since they're already there, and not doing you any good elsewhere, I'd say talk to the owner and ask if she'd buy them from you, or, if not, then she can USE them with full intention of them bring returned at your request. Maybe have that written into your contract? HTH :-)

I would stipulate in an agreement with her that she can continue using the displays (as JJ said, they're already there and being used) and if she stops selling your products then you get the displays back. Call me cynical but with the economy the way it is and wholesale accounts being tough to acquire anyway, I wouldn't want to ruin the relationship over displays, especially since they're already in place.

Thanks for your input! I think that's what I'll do; just let her continue using them and put it in the contract that they are to be returned. I'm lucky in that she's only taking 15% for the consignment, but I'm still hoping to switch to wholesale so that I get paid upfront for my candles, rather than have them sitting in the shop collecting dust. :-)

We do both Consignment and Wholesale. One of the shops we are in carry both our soap and candle line. In the beginning, she used our displays, and then as the line/scent selections grew, she changed out displays. We were fortunate to not have to deal with an agreement. She was just the type of person that was honest/dependable and returned everything. But yeah, I'd leave the displays with an agreement to play it safe. I like both Consignment and Wholesale. Nice to get monthly checks in the mail from the Consignment Shops and then the Wholesale accts is one big lump sum....always good to help purchase materials for restocking