Trying a new wax for me

and a new container. I'm new to the IGI 4636 (J 50). The new container is the hexagon jar; here's the link:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_hexagon-jar-9oz.html

Using 16oz. 4636, and 1 oz. FO (thus far I tried Autumn Lodge from AAA). Poured one jar using a 51z wick; the other jar is wicked with a 51P. Let them sit 2 days. Not smelling a thing, it must be a wick issue; I made some tarts with the leftover wax, and it does smell great, but in the container I get zip, nada, zilch HT.

Am I using the wrong wick? Heating to 175, adding FO around 170, pouring at 150. What gives?

Why am I trying another wax and container? So I can complain, moan, and give myself headaches! :laugh2:

I know, some of us are real suckers for punishment :laugh2: Ok, got no problems with the CBL, the 6006, the 4786 and 4633. Shouldn't that be enough? Noooooo, let me go look for new troubles:rolleyes2

Thank you, ChandlerWicks, I will try your suggestion.

I think you'll love the CBL 125!

Edited by Ravens
typo

I tried the CBL125 when I was testing with Jeanie, I did love it. I just keep trying with 4627, I love the cold throw! Serious stubbornass behavior I have, to keep trying to make it work. I think I ruined this last 25lbs by putting the bag/wax into the turkey roaster to get all the wax off. I had strings attached to side of pan, bag must have melted into the wax.

I tried the CBL125 when I was testing with Jeanie, I did love it. I just keep trying with 4627, I love the cold throw! Serious stubbornass behavior I have, to keep trying to make it work. I think I ruined this last 25lbs by putting the bag/wax into the turkey roaster to get all the wax off. I had strings attached to side of pan, bag must have melted into the wax.

Oh, no! Is there any way to salvage the wax? I gave up on it (the 4627); great throw but so messy, or messy me making the mess, lol

I think I understand about the "Stubbornass behavior".... I wrote the book!:laugh2:

I remember reading a member's post about how she manages to not make a mess with the 4627, but I forget the member's name.

Speaking of new waxes to try, have you ever used KY's 133 Versatile Paraffin wax blend (now sold by AH/RE)? It's in flake form, which I consider a plus, but their website has no reviews on waxes, oils; no reviews, period:undecided.

Perhaps I'll order some; ya know, just to add fuel to my little weekly wax dramas :laugh2:

• 1 month later...
Oh, no! Is there any way to salvage the wax? I gave up on it (the 4627); great throw but so messy, or messy me making the mess, lol

I think I understand about the "Stubbornass behavior".... I wrote the book!:laugh2:

:wave: I co-authored.

You do not even want to know the blends I've got mixed up over here now.

Not sure if this will help, but I love the 4627.

I put the whole bag on a foil covered table and I use one of those "magic" bread knives.

I'll have to look, but I swear the brand of the knife is magic, came with one of those knife sets my wife bought.

I put on rubber gloves before I even touch my paper towel covered knife handle.

Any way, I slice from the bottom up all four corners of the plastic bag.

Cut those four squares away and scrape the wax off them.

Then I use the bread knife and start slicing away - by pushing, carving is a better word, starting at the corners.

I cut the whole 25lbs up into portion size, either 4 or 6 pounds and put them on plastic plates from Wally World.

I found the heavier plastic plates last longer and I reuse them. I put wax paper between the plates before storing them in a tote to make it easier to separate them later. Kept in a tote to keep them clean from dust and debris.

I take some paper towels and wrap up the knife for later.

Remove gloves.

Then when I'm ready I use a spatula and scrape from plate to presto.

I'm thinking of getting a machete to do this with - bigger and thicker blade might make it easier and give me better control.

Edited by Old Crab
Spelling

and a new container. I'm new to the IGI 4636 (J 50). The new container is the hexagon jar; here's the link:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_hexagon-jar-9oz.html

Using 16oz. 4636, and 1 oz. FO (thus far I tried Autumn Lodge from AAA). Poured one jar using a 51z wick; the other jar is wicked with a 51P. Let them sit 2 days. Not smelling a thing, it must be a wick issue; I made some tarts with the leftover wax, and it does smell great, but in the container I get zip, nada, zilch HT.

Am I using the wrong wick? Heating to 175, adding FO around 170, pouring at 150. What gives?

Why am I trying another wax and container? So I can complain, moan, and give myself headaches! :laugh2:

I use a 51-32-18z in that wax with a 2.5" and it usually works well. I'd say to try and up to a 60-44-18z. THat wax is a stuff burner for sure but the throw is awesome when done right! :)