Have you ever changed your Business Name ?

Most of you know I am starting over, totally from scratch. I'll be doing the exact same things as I did before, but I'm now in a totally different atmosphere than I was before.

My business name is A Black Tie Affair Creations. I wanted something with a somewhat upper scale look, at reasonable pricing for everyone. I was selling in quite a few different places, but most of my business was, while in a mountain tourist town, had, well.. for lack of a better words, a lot of rich folks coming in LOL.

Everyone was doing the country/prim/rustic thing up there, and I actually did quite well with having a more black/white/silver color scheme with art deco style logos, ect.

Now that I'm back in South Alabama, I'm at a total loss.

I just don't think that will go over well here. Even though I won't be changing the prices ( I had them as low as they could go ), I just know that I'm dealing with a different mind set of people.

I've thought about changing not only the name of the business, and with it , of course, the design of the packaging.

Have any of you ever did that? Had, or chose, to totally switch your target market and your business model?

This is one of those " if ya skeered say ya skeered"...

Well... I'm SKEERED !

Hi Blacktie!!! Don't be skeered!!!:laugh2: Look at this whole thing as a new venture!! With lemons MAKE lemonadel!!! I would first take a day and go into some locally owned gift stores in your area and check out what they offer, see what their stores "lack" that your products may bring to their offerings, see what the "theme" is....TALK to the store owners....tell them what you make, you may just get a Wholesale account with them!! Ask them what they might be looking for in product. If I were you I would change my name, change my design, create a whole new look for my company, learn to make new items to add to your line, after all THIS IS A NEW BEGINNING for you!!! Don't let this move sway you from doing what you LOVE to do....create BEAUTIFUL things and make customers happy!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! GO GET 'EM GIRL!!! :yay:

Yup.. I've been in the business for 12 years... About the 3rd year of business I realized that I had restricted growth in my product line with my first business name of Candlelight by Sherri. As the business grew I wanted to make more than just candles, tarts and critters. So I renamed by business to SherriLynn's...I have several different tag lines to match the different products we make. We make everything from candles and tarts, to B&B and also added a my own recipe line of gourmet foods about 6 years ago.

I'm on my third name since signing up for this site lol. JJCandlesCrafts was a "working title", then started working with another name, which the (now) ex is using for her jewelry, and now I'm starting over solo (once I get all my business needs in order, I'll share the new name :) )

I am trying, this round, to do it right as opposed to a hobby I try to sell the products from to feed the habit. I have my business plan in mind and am working to make it come to fruition. Again, like you, this is "from scratch". The only left overs from previous attempts are the hardware (prestos, pour pots...) Heck, the waxes I used aren't available locally anymore, so I really am starting at square 1.

Think of this as a new beginning. Looks like we're in the same boat :)

I changed it once, from Kel-Lee's Candles to Suzy-Q & Sally Too. I did that because if I ever decided to stop selling candles (which is going to be sooner than later) I obviously needed to drop the "candles" from my name. I wanted something generic, but dear to me. My grandpa (who was like a dad to me) used to call me Sally as a nickname. My grandma (who was closer to me than my own mother) used to call me Suzy-Q. Suzy-Q & Sally Too just seemed like a good fit, and I am able to sell what I'd like without being restricted by a name. Plus, it quietly honors the two people I loved more than life itself when I was young. :)

Are there many candle people in your area?

Southern Alabama sounds very rustic country to me....never been there before but what about designing your product around the state itself? I have a line based on Michigan- the state flower-tree-bird etc.. Along with points of interest within the state

You could keep some with a modern look to them as well with the same names- I am running into needing to add a modern jar- the square mason doesn't suit the ones that like all sleek and contemporary- but the masons go with most other styles

Hey Moonshine, actually, there are no candlemakers (or makers of any other of our stuff ) in the immediate area at all anymore. I've talked with quite a few of my family members and friends who used to buy from crafters, and they all say they've all gone out of business. While that in a way makes me very happy, it also scares the living daylights out of me because I can't help but think, ok, was no one buying, was costs too high for them to continue, did they not have a really good product ( I've heard yea and nay on that one ) . I don't have a problem going out in an expanded area if that's what it takes.

Things have changed so much around here since I've been gone ( over 10 years ). There really isn't anywhere to even put my things into a store here. What used to be cute mom and pop gift shops and such, they have gone away. And in their place are not one, not two but five flea market type stores that are selling anything from junk to some rather cool southern antiques. Having walked through them all, I truly can't see ANYthing I make, in any of them. I'm not being snooty, I'm being realistic. Yall have all walked in stores and thought " Oh my stuff would go well in here " or " I couldn't ever sell a thing in here". Well I have the latter issue.

I guess unless some miracle descends upon me, I won't be able to do anything, anywhere, this fall or Christmas season. I have too much to get back up, would have way too much to make, and then there's the issue of where in the dickens would I take it to. So, as much as it's going to make me have hives, because I want to hurry up and get started again, I think I'm just going to have to go REALLY slow and worry more about next year.

I did get tickled because I found 10 loaf soap molds yesterday that I was wanting to use.. at the Dollar Tree, for a buck a piece ! LOL ( It's the drawer organizer, blue ones, that 805 Soap Company uses... it's hell to find these things because Dollar Tree just carries whatever they are sent ).

For Christmas you get a "feeler" for whether or not it would go over good in your area- just make small quantities and go to the flea market and see what happens- my first show is in a couple weeks and I did not make a lot of stock for this reason- I need to see how it goes and if I sell out great and will take orders but if it's a flop I won't have to much sitting out to look like a complete loser! LOL

You never know....something "new" in that area could be a winner- especially if that's all they really offer around there- flea market stores- people could be getting bored of the same old same old and jump on your stuff!