My First Zinc Wick Test

As the title says, I am trying zincs for the first time. I've avoided zinc wicks because I grew up during the lead core wick era and thought that there were enough non-metal core wicks available that I would not need to use zincs. That said, I make a few votive candles because they are fun and make nice gifts. I usually use LX-10 wicks with them and for the most part they are great. If not trimmed the flame can get a tad large and once in a great while the wick can lay over and crack the holder. That has only happened to me once.

So the time has come for me to test a zinc wick, which happens to be a 38-24-24-Z which came in the sample pack I got from Peak. Will let you know how it goes.

Which wax are you using?

Forgot to mention that didn't I. I am using 4625 and 4794. I am watching the wick grow in length and the flame getting longer and longer. Not self trimming are they? Not sure I am liking these.

Sure that isn't a 36-24-24z?

You might experience some build up on the wick, but that's kind of typical of zincs I think.

Yes, a typo on my part but I am still not happy with the way they elongate. I have to constantly trim them. Then again, I have yet to find a votive wick that I am happy with. I may make some out of LX-8 that I have laying around.

I'm using LX8 or LX10 in my 4625 votives and they work great.

Hi ksranch, I'm finding the LX-10 wicks to be a little to 'aggressive" in having a larger flame than I'd like. Glad to hear that the LX-8 wicks work, do you buy them pre-tabbed or make your own? If you buy them, who is your source (if I may ask)?

Hi ksranch, I'm finding the LX-10 wicks to be a little to 'aggressive" in having a larger flame than I'd like. Glad to hear that the LX-8 wicks work, do you buy them pre-tabbed or make your own? If you buy them, who is your source (if I may ask)?

I'm testing votives today too for HT on a bunch of scents that passed the tart HT test. I put a zinc in and took it back out for the same reason and have an LX in right now with the flame being a bit too high for my likes also. I'll go down a size and see how that goes. If not well, will try HTP. I love the HT CDs give but can't take the dancing flame from them....Its my OCD thing. I know they are wonderful wicks but just not for me.

I'm testing votives today too for HT on a bunch of scents that passed the tart HT test. I put a zinc in and took it back out for the same reason and have an LX in right now with the flame being a bit too high for my likes also. I'll go down a size and see how that goes. If not well, will try HTP. I love the HT CDs give but can't take the dancing flame from them....Its my OCD thing. I know they are wonderful wicks but just not for me.

Tried an HTP-31 a few days ago, flame still too big IMO. Testing an ECO-1 right now and it's not half bad, I predict that it too will be too big of a flame but it was worth a shot.

Tried an HTP-31 a few days ago, flame still too big IMO. Testing an ECO-1 right now and it's not half bad, I predict that it too will be too big of a flame but it was worth a shot.

Didn't even consider Eco for these thinking they'd run too hot but since I have them in every size in large qty, I'll go ahead and dig one out and try it before the HTP since the votive is cooling right now. I'd be a happy camper if an Eco worked.

Didn't even consider Eco for these thinking they'd run too hot but since I have them in every size in large qty, I'll go ahead and dig one out and try it before the HTP since the votive is cooling right now. I'd be a happy camper if an Eco worked.

The flame on the ECO-1 is getting too long, try if you like but I don't think it's a winner. Looks like it's the LX-8 test tomorrow.

I make my own.

I make my own.

I can make my own as well, at least for testing. I did find a site that sells them tabbed but a 1000 minimum per order.

I'm glad that I tried the zincs to see how they burn, I can now better appreciate the self trimming wicks.