Customer Requests

I have fun reading about all the crazy requests that customers ask us to make for them especially the crazy one of kind and popular candle/ melt scents from national companies.

Anyway, when a customer does ask for a special scent. Do you all explain that there is testing involved and also if you don't carry that scent you have to find or blend your own to come up with it. That it's not a simple task and they could be waiting for "their" candle for awhile.

Plus if you are a small operation you would have to special order samples from a new supplier or perhaps a place you already buy from. I for one would not be placing a special order even from a place I currently shop with if I don't have to buy current FO that are already tested and selling.

I'm not criticizing anyone, in fact, I think it's great that you guys are so creative and want to please your customers. I'm just curious about how the dialogue goes and how you decide this choice is or could be profitable for your business.

Thank you as always for any insight or replies you may have on this question:grin2:

Edited by jackbenimble

I say, upfront, that if they want a particular scent, go ahead and ask for it! I tell them that it could take a long time, if at all. If I get enough interest in that particular scent, or it's one I want to try anyway, then I'll work on getting it added. Otherwise, it probably won't happen. :-)

For me - it depends. Example 1 - store owner says the 'guys' have been asking for some scents that are more 'manly' - okay, I'm getting some! Example 2 - lady asked me for Twilight Woods - although I had not purchased it to date, I knew Peak had it and I needed some other things anyway, so I told her I'd "look into it". When I got the sample and did a test candle I loved it! So, I made her candle and added it to my line. Example 3 - lady wanted a dup to Scent**'s "Luna" - told her I'd look into it - well no one has a dup and I wasn't going to spend $$ on oils to mix/test/etc just for one sale. So - it depends.

But, yes, it is fun reading about some of the crazy requests we get - and boy do I get my share!! :laugh2:

I don't carry or buy any 'dup' scents and tell that to my customers. I usually can get them to try something I have that is close or that I can blend easily. Two of my biggest year round sellers came from a customer (and good friend) that I blend myself from her request. 3/4 of my FO's are my own blends cause I LOVE to play!! Those that want a Yankee or other dupe, I actually tell them to buy from Yankee! :cool2:

One of my biggest sellers was a request from a friend too. She asked for a special blend...I played around with it, came up with something I liked, sent her a sample...she has never ordered it...but LOTS of others love it. (Go figure)