Candle Making Question

Hello, all!

I'm brand new here! I'm in some pretty dire need of help!

I use IGI 6006 for my wax. Honestly, I like the wax, for the most part. The scent throw is amazing, burn time is relatively well, smooth top, one pour! However, there is AWFUL black smoke/soot coming from my candles. To the point that I only burn one or two candles per week and our furnace filter is completely black. I have a film- like substance on things within my house, too. I offer wood wicks as well as regular cotton wicks in my candles. I offer 22oz square jars that are 4 in. I also offer 14 oz jar candles.

I purchase all of my supplies from Candle Science and Lone Star. I use a Presto warmer and pour around 170.

I would sincerely appreciate ANY suggestions to get rid of the black soot! I thought for sure it was the wicks I was using. I've experimented around a lot and still get the soot! Or if anyone has a 100% soy wax that has excellent throw, I would appreciate that, too! :)

TIA!

Nicki

I've done SO much experimenting with candles! I would love to switch to 100% soy wax, but I was never able to get scent throw from 100% soy.

How much FO do you use and how much wax? Exactly what type and size of wick are you using? and in what container? How much dye and what kind of dye? Any other additives?

When I was using IGI 6006, I liked the zinc wicks in it and I didn't have a problem with soot or smoke.

To me, soot means that the candle is over wicked and/or the flame is very unstable and throwing soot as it dances. 6006 is a parasoy (70/30 I think). I make my own parasoy and it will still soot if the flame is too large. I've been happy with HTP wicks. Your candle sound large in terms of weight but what are the jar diameters. I've tried single wicking a 4" jar and was never successful because of the soot issue. Double wicks solved it.

To answer some of the questions:

How much FO do you use and how much wax? I use 22oz of wax and I weigh out 1.2 oz of fragrance per candle.

Exactly what type and size of wick are you using? Right now I offer a wood wick that is 1/2inch thick. I also offer a cotton wick, ECO-14. I've experimented with double-wick and single wick of all different sizes. I double-wicked all the way from an ECO-4 to EVO-10. It was suggested that I single wick with ECO-10's. I tried this and it was not enough of a wax pool and was tunneling.

and in what container? I use the Libbey Cubes 22oz. Four inches high, wide, deep.

How much dye and what kind of dye? I use liquid dye from Lonestar. The amount I use depends on the candle. Average would be about 3-4 drops per candle. There are quite a few candles that I put only one drop in to, too.

Thank you for any and all suggestions, I highly appreciate them1

Any other additives?

That's great! Thank you very much. I'll have to order some in real quick. I have enough wicks laying around to make my head spin, but of course I don't have any ECO-2's! Have you tried any wood wicks, by chance?

That's great! Thank you very much. I'll have to order some in real quick. I have enough wicks laying around to make my head spin, but of course I don't have any ECO-2's! Have you tried any wood wicks, by chance?

Have never tried wood wicks but they are cool.

I don't use jars that large cause I don't like double wicking, but I use 6006 with LX wicks, and I do not have soot issues. Use FO at about 6% per LB of 6006. Some FO's I can use less than 6% and still get great throw.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig this up, but I realized we use the same jars so I thought I would seek help from you if you dont mind. Did the Eco-2 wicks correct your issues with the IGI6006 wax? Trying to get my xmas gifts made with decent throw. I see you pour at 170, do you add the oils at that temp or do you heat to a higher level and add? I use the smaller square jars, if that will help give me an idea of your technique. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Try adding 15% soy to 85% 6006. Heat to 190 degrees and add your fo and color and stir for 2-3 minutes and then pour into your room temp container. Leave out in the open and do not insulate. I would advise using cdn wicks on that puppy and start with an 18cdn. I really liked this formulation and it helped with sooting a lot. I decided to stay with my tried and true Clarus 70/30 but this would be my second choice of any other wax. The formula gives you a (roughly) 50/50 parasoy. You have to be very accurate with your fo percentages in this wax and it doesn't work well with heavy fo loads IMHO. HTH

Steve

I have been using LX wicks in 6006, with great results. I don't have black soot on my furnace filters, or anything. However, I do not know about that size jar, and diameter. However I do know that most fragrances I use in 6006, are strong at 6%.

HTH