Does double wick produce better hot throw??

Hi everyone. I have been making candles with GB 415/beeswax in the 8 oz crisa jar. Depending on the fragrance I wick with a CD10, CDN10, or CD12. The candles burn well and the throw is great after about 2 hours or so. (when achieve full melt pool).

I experimented with an Anchor Country Comfort Jar in 16 oz - Double wicked with CD5's. WOW...the throw blew me away in over 30 min. Not overwhelming but you definitely got a great scent throw at that time. On inspection...full melt pool had not yet been achieved of course since it was only 30 min or so. But the difference in throw has me a little surprised? I know that the diameter in the Crisa Jar is smaller (2.75") versus the Comfort Jar which is over 3 inches but the Comfort jar had just started burning. So my question is...have people found double wicking to affect scent throw? I'm flabbergasted!

Hi everyone. I have been making candles with GB 415/beeswax in the 8 oz crisa jar. Depending on the fragrance I wick with a CD10, CDN10, or CD12. The candles burn well and the throw is great after about 2 hours or so. (when achieve full melt pool).

I experimented with an Anchor Country Comfort Jar in 16 oz - Double wicked with CD5's. WOW...the throw blew me away in over 30 min. Not overwhelming but you definitely got a great scent throw at that time. On inspection...full melt pool had not yet been achieved of course since it was only 30 min or so. But the difference in throw has me a little surprised? I know that the diameter in the Crisa Jar is smaller (2.75") versus the Comfort Jar which is over 3 inches but the Comfort jar had just started burning. So my question is...have people found double wicking to affect scent throw? I'm flabbergasted!

From my findings (I am a double wicker with main line), if you compare a wellmade (proper combinations - wax, wick, FO, etc.) single wicked candle and a wellmade double wicked candle, the throw will be stronger in a double wicked candle. Athough, there can be duddy double wicked candles as well as duddy single wicked candles. A wellmade single wicked candle can do really well though in smaller areas and even in larger areas if it happens to have a kick butt throw. I find that candles that are single wicked in a jar that is too wide to get hot enough will definitely not do as well as the same jar with two wicks. Some jars have to be single wicked and do fine in smaller areas. I have always preferred a great burning double wicked candle for scent throw over a single wicked candle. I have burn many candles, not only the ones I have made but many from other companies. I find that the double wicked candles normally win handsdown over a single wicked candle scent throw wise, but I have made a few kick throw single wicked candles for their size, including tealights. HTH

Edited by Holly

When Gold Canyon (double wicked candles) candles used to burn well and were at their best, they blew most single wicked companies out of the water. That is when I became hooked on double wicked candles and found the double wicking was the way for me for my main line. I did have single wicked candles that did well too but they were a smaller line and best in smaller areas.

I only double wick because of container diameter. Whether a full melt pool comes from a single wick or a double should not matter. Double wicked containers tend to be hotter than singled wicked so they would tend to throw faster and develop deeper MP and so more throw.

From my findings (I am a double wicker with main line), if you compare a wellmade (proper combinations - wax, wick, FO, etc.) single wicked candle and a wellmade double wicked candle, the throw will be stronger in a double wicked candle. Athough, there can be duddy double wicked candles as well as duddy single wicked candles. A wellmade single wicked candle can do really well though in smaller areas and even in larger areas if it happens to have a kick butt throw. I find that candles that are single wicked in a jar that is too wide to get hot enough will definitely not do as well as the same jar with two wicks. Some jars have to be single wicked and do fine in smaller areas. I have always preferred a great burning double wicked candle for scent throw over a single wicked candle. I have burn many candles, not only the ones I have made but many from other companies. I find that the double wicked candles normally win handsdown over a single wicked candle scent throw wise, but I have made a few kick throw single wicked candles for their size, including tealights. HTH

I agree 100%!

And I, too, agree with what others have said. For lack of a better way of putting it, double wicking seems to produce a 'better' fmp. I realize a fmp should be just that: a fmp. But all fmps are not created equal.

I agree, so much depends on the FO.

Be careful not to over estimate the burn-time. Two wicks burn twice as fast. An 11 oz tureen dbl-wicked burns about as long as a 6 0z tin. Carole

I agree, so much depends on the FO.

Be careful not to over estimate the burn-time. Two wicks burn twice as fast. An 11 oz tureen dbl-wicked burns about as long as a 6 0z tin. Carole

I agree. I always tell my customers the drawback to double wicked candles is they will burn faster. I mainly buy for scent throw, so I prefer double wicked candles. I actually like both....double wicked for larger areas and single wicked for smaller areas. I like the look of a lot of the single wicked candles....pretty narrow jars.

Actually that is not true if the candle is wicked properly, at least in my candles. My double wicked 15 oz. Libbey cylinder jar gets 50 - 65 hours burn time and my 8 oz. single wicked candle gets about 30 - 45 hours. My cylinder jars don't get a full melt pool till the 3rd or 4th burn.

Actually that is not true if the candle is wicked properly, at least in my candles. My double wicked 15 oz. Libbey cylinder jar gets 50 - 65 hours burn time and my 8 oz. single wicked candle gets about 30 - 45 hours. My cylinder jars don't get a full melt pool till the 3rd or 4th burn.

If your not getting a FMP in the dbl-wicked till the 3rd burn, then you are under-wicked. How does the hot throw compare to the single wicked? My guess is that it is the same. Carole

If your not getting a FMP in the dbl-wicked till the 3rd burn, then you are under-wicked. How does the hot throw compare to the single wicked? My guess is that it is the same. Carole

Does a double-wicked that gets a full MP before the 3rd burn get too hot as it gets farther down into the jar? I'm double wick challenged so gave up trying. My knowledge is very limited there. I have always found in the single wick candles (in my experience) if I get a full MP before the 3rd burn it is going to burn badly, have too deep MP or get too hot in the 2nd half of the jar.

Does a double-wicked that gets a full MP before the 3rd burn get too hot as it gets farther down into the jar? I'm double wick challenged so gave up trying. My knowledge is very limited there. I have always found in the single wick candles (in my experience) if I get a full MP before the 3rd burn it is going to burn badly, have too deep MP or get too hot in the 2nd half of the jar.

I'd say that this is a real concern with double wicked candles at the 2nd half of their lives. I recently change my 8 oz apothecary jars from ECO-2 to ECO-1. Even with the ECO-1s, at the half way point the glass can be quite hot but the HT is great through the whole burn. The pinched top of the jars trap heat. I have the wicks as close together as possible to keep jar neck heating as low as possible. Single wicks never worked out for me with this jar.

Again you are incorrect! By getting a FMP on the 3rd or even 4th burn, the jar doesn't get too hot to handle and the minute amount of wax on the top half of the jar completely cleans up. My candles have a very strong throw from the beginning and no sooting.......wicked perfectly! :yes: