Could WE do this? ND Crystal Vanilla Stable MP

blacktieaffair

It's Sunday, Im out of money and product to play with, so Im looking around at suppliers I've never ordered from and came across this at New Directions.

Crystal Vanilla Stable MP soap. Says it wont turn, when FOs with Vanilla or Vanillin are added.

Ingredients:

• Water

• Glycerin

• Sodium Stearate

• Propylene Glycol

• Sorbitol

• Sodium Laurate

• Sodium Laureth Sulfate

• Sodium Chloride

• Sodium Thiosulfate

• Stearic Acid

• Lauric Acid

• Pentasodium Pentetate

• Tetrasodium Etidronate

I know a lot of us make up batches of a particular recipe to have on hand for later use so we can just melt it back down in a hurry without having to so through the entire process.

In the vanilla stabilizer I have, it states to mix it with the FO and let it set for 2 minutes but no more than 15 before adding to the soap.

Just to show yall how clueless I am on this stuff... can you add the VS WITHOUT the FO , to the batch you make up for later use, and then when you get ready to make soap, not have to worry about remembering if there is vanilla in a scent or not, and just go to town ??

You could try it and see if it works. I have an idea that the directions for the VS you have are there for a reason and probably work best that way.

BTW-- I don't make up batches of M&P just to remelt later. I could be wrong but I don't know anyone that does it this way. I only remelt soap or soap batches that have gone wrong. IMO it doesn't save time or effort making M&P batches ahead of time.

I only know some that do it with batches of CP soap to rebatch so they don't have problems with adding FOs (seizing and ricing, etc.)

I have never used vanilla stablilizer like you have described. I just put it in the melted base and incorporate it well. I have never made a batch with the stabilizer in it for later use. I do use vanilla stable base these days and it is wonderful.

Thanks Candybee. The VS I have is from Crafter's Choice. About making up a batch of soap ahead of time, I'd read in one of the MP threads on here someone asking if they could do that, and a few said they had, and I'd asked a few more on another board. Guess in my head I just lumped them all together LOL.

Noodle, I was looking at the base in question, and it's actually less expensive than what I use now, but by the time I had it shipped here ( as opposed to driving 30 miles and picking it up ) it wouldn't be. That's why I was interested in making it up ahead of time, if that would have worked.

Our tourist season has kicked off, and some weekends I sell completely out of soap, and just having some made up and me being able to go home, melt it down and "doctor" it, was just easier than dragging ALL my supplies out for 1 or 2 loafs. ( we moved, so I'm working out of a seriously TINY kitchen now ).

Oh by the way yall, I figured out REAL fast, do not spray your utensils down with alcohol, over an aluminum sink, that's in a corner , of a closed in kitchen, right next to the mixing bowl of lotion that you just put FO in.

The fumes, will literally knock you out ! ( I was in a hurry and forgot to turn the exhaust fan on and crack the window )

*hiding*

I know what you mean about running out of soap. Thats why I got a rice cooker so I can melt 10 lbs of base at a time in about 20 minutes. I can make five 2 lb batches at a time each time I load my meltor. I use the production tray molds. I tend to make 50-60 lbs of soap at a time. Works great if you have a good meltor and about a dozen production tray molds. When the soaps cool enough to demold I just pop out the batch and use the mold again.

I tend to make lots of extra soaps because some of my 2 day shows I run out of soap on day one. So when I get home at night I just pull more soaps off the shelves. I'd rather sell soap thats finished, cured, and wrapped then worry about remelting a batch to make more soaps when I run out at a show. That would drive me crazy.

One day, I hope to grow up and be like you LOL.

I WISH I could afford that operation AND sell that much, but I am a teeny tiny itty bitty gal still lol. Usually when I "run out", I don't have the sales to justify making up more than a loaf or tray at a time. Just enough to restock. But then I might go a week or two and not sell out of anything. After the money straightens out a little ( prays ) I'll start having more "inventory" to pull off the shelves but right now, Im still pretty much at the " what comes in, must go right back out in order for there to be something else to come in " stage LOL

Edited by blacktieaffair

Don't worry. You'll get there before you know it. I didn't get all my soap molds at once. Took me a couple years to collect them one by one.. usually waiting for a supplier to have a sale. I got my rice cooker for about $30 at Walmart. Best investment for my M&P soapmaking I ever made. Used to melt everything in the micro for the first couple of years until I had all my equipment.

Also-- if you go to shows with a ton of soap you will sell a whole lot more. People see all that soap and go gaga over it. Do a 3 for or 4 for special and then you'll sell even more.

Sorry I strayed from the topic. I never did a lot of vanilla soaps with M&P and usually just let them discolor to tan or brown or whatever. Now that I am making CP I have a "Natural Dark Vanilla Goat Milk & Dye Free" soap thats chocolate colored and is becoming a big seller. I was hoping to make the vanilla sound a bit exotic and take advantage of its natural discoloration. You know it works.

Naw its ok, you can go OT since Im the OP LOL . Yep about the discoloration and embracing it. That's what I do with a few of mine, especially the Honey Vanilla Oatmeal scrubby soap I make. I just have a lot of calls for Pink Sugar and it doesn't look so hot brown LOL, and a few others have enough vanilla in the blend to make colors go wonky.