Coppertone Type*

rctfavr3

Has anyone come across a Coppertone Type fragrance oil?

Any help will be most appreciated! All I can find is oils that smell

like those cheaper banana-coconut suntan lotions. Thanks in advance!

Edited by rctfavr3

Oh. I wish I had seen that post in time. LOL. I just attempted to make my own with surprisingly good results if I do say so myself. Too funny. Had to post the recipe! ;)

Test formula was 50 Neroli EO, mixed 25% baby powder and 25 neem oil. Turned out amazingly accurate, if not a tad TOO strong! Smells darn near perfect to Coppertone.

I remember reading a few years back that Coppertone was based off of a fragrance blend primarily of Orange Blossoms mixed with a powder base, so I figured I'd attempt using Neroli and baby powder, the idea to use neem oil, which is downright stinky on it's own, was an effort to mute the sweetness a little. Who knew?! It turned out great! :)

Edited by rctfavr3

My blend using above proportions did not smell a thing like Coppertone, surprisingly Neem wasn't bad in it, and it is a pretty and strong mix but not Coppertone for me. :)

EDIT: Now that the strength of the Neroli has settled I do smell some of the notes of Coppertone. I'm thinking I need to use less of my Neroli, it is VERY strong.

Edited by Lorelei

My blend using above proportions did not smell a thing like Coppertone, surprisingly Neem wasn't bad in it, and it is a pretty and strong mix but not Coppertone for me. :)

EDIT: Now that the strength of the Neroli has settled I do smell some of the notes of Coppertone. I'm thinking I need to use less of my Neroli, it is VERY strong.

I think the varying strength of the Neroli EO makes the biggest difference. My neroli oil is very mellow and not nearly as strong as some that I've tried, although this is probably because my EO might be heavily diluted. I only paid about $12 for an ounce, and I've seen it as high as $300 for an ounce absolute...LOL. I'm not using the purest of EOs, not at $12. might be the reason? Maybe you should try a 33, 33, 33 mix? or if your neem oil isnt overly stinky...a 25, 25, 50% neem blend IDK.

I did get a pretty accurate Banana Boat Type suntan smell mixing banana and coconut with neem, but it wasn't the Coppertone-like smell I was after.

Edited by rctfavr3

I think the varying strength of the Neroli EO makes the biggest difference. My neroli oil is very mellow and not nearly as strong as some that I've tried, although this is probably because my EO might be heavily diluted. I only paid about $12 for an ounce, and I've seen it as high as $300 for an ounce absolute...LOL. I'm not using the purest of EOs, not at $12. might be the reason? Maybe you should try a 33, 33, 33 mix? or if your neem oil isnt overly stinky...a 25, 25, 50% neem blend IDK.

I did get a pretty accurate Banana Boat Type suntan smell mixing banana and coconut with neem, but it wasn't the Coppertone-like smell I was after.

I have tried all combos with these three. I just can't get over the nasty neem smell no matter how small the amount is. So I tried my really hearty patchouli in it to no avail I can't make the coppertone notes. Some of them are there but it just doesn't go all the way.

I have tried all combos with these three. I just can't get over the nasty neem smell no matter how small the amount is. So I tried my really hearty patchouli in it to no avail I can't make the coppertone notes. Some of them are there but it just doesn't go all the way.

No worries. Sorry you couldn't get it to work. I'm using neem oil, not the essential. As for the neroli, it's very mild. O well! :undecided