Getting back into candle making

So I've been gone for many years. I previously had a small candle business going in Florida and then eventually Ohio. 4 years active duty Navy and a few deployments later I would love to get back into candle making (just tarts though).

Obviously I need to start over with testing and etc. I currently live in San Diego but I've searched and it doesn't seem like there are any wax suppliers out in Cali. Unless I'm missing something. I don't even know what wax to start with, just preferably tart wax.

Costs have obviously gone up but I would need a supplier close to San Diego or California in general. Any help would be appreciated to get me started back up. I've had the itch for a few months and really want to get back into it.

Edited by kforbs126

I use Peaks as well, along with Lonestar (wax) and The Candlesource (very reasonable shipping)...hth

Isnt Genwax based out of CA :confused:

I do see that Genwax is up in LA which is about an hour and a half but their wax I'm not familiar with and honestly never heard of the brand. I'm not sure what would work for tarts.

So I've been gone for many years. 4 years active duty Navy and a few deployments later I would love to get back into candle making (just tarts though).

Kforbs-

For the past 12 years I have used the 4794 for my tarts. Other folks on here do blends..someone on here blended 4625 and 4786 @ 50/50 which I am going to try myself one of these days soon.

I personally also want to THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for YOUR service to our Country and keeping us safe...God Bless You!!!! We appreciate your sacrifice and your families' sacrifice and I just wanted you to know that! Welcome back home HERO!!!!:yay:

Edited by puma52

Kforbs-

I personally also want to THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for YOUR service to our Country and keeping us safe...God Bless You!!!! We appreciate your sacrifice and your families' sacrifice and I just wanted you to know that! Welcome back home HERO!!!!:yay:

AMEN!!

So I've been gone for many years. 4 years active duty Navy and a few deployments later I would love to get back into candle making (just tarts though).

Kforbs-

For the past 12 years I have used the 4794 for my tarts. Other folks on here do blends..someone on here blended 4625 and 4786 @ 50/50 which I am going to try myself one of these days soon.

Thank you for the very kind words :)

Genwax is cheap shipping to Arizona so I use them too. The containers are affordable and shipping cheap.

As for the wax, the paraffin is all imported in bulk from China. You'll have to add vybar and whatnot if you want to load the FO. Raw the wax at Genwax has a tough time going over about 4 to 6 percent FO load.

I found that mixing it a bit with some IGI like the Harmony made for a great throwing wax. I tend to keep some of the Genwax 128 on hand for that purpose. The higher MP wax is kinda OK for cut n curl or hurricanes. But the cut/curl needs a microcrystaline additive (which Genwax sells).

Yaley can supply you from Redding (or Redlands?) area. I think they have about the same stuff as Genwax.

There is an IGI supplier in Oregon that might ship cheap to you. Letitshineusa.com or something like that. They're the only place where I can get a good taper wax.

Genwax is cheap shipping to Arizona so I use them too. The containers are affordable and shipping cheap.

As for the wax, the paraffin is all imported in bulk from China. You'll have to add vybar and whatnot if you want to load the FO. Raw the wax at Genwax has a tough time going over about 4 to 6 percent FO load.

I found that mixing it a bit with some IGI like the Harmony made for a great throwing wax. I tend to keep some of the Genwax 128 on hand for that purpose. The higher MP wax is kinda OK for cut n curl or hurricanes. But the cut/curl needs a microcrystaline additive (which Genwax sells).

Yaley can supply you from Redding (or Redlands?) area. I think they have about the same stuff as Genwax.

There is an IGI supplier in Oregon that might ship cheap to you. Letitshineusa.com or something like that. They're the only place where I can get a good taper wax.

Thank You for all the info.

Do you know anything about the C1 or C3 they sell? I'm just looking to make tarts. I'm willing to make a drive up there. I'm just really quite disappointed that California has 1 supplier.

Edited by kforbs126

I use C3 (soy veggie wax)..it is a container wax. Go to Elevance.com and click on Naturewax products for detailed info on their waxes...hth

Thank You again for the info. It doesn't look like C3 can be used for tarts. :(

I'm so frustrated right now I was all excited until I realized there are no California suppliers.