TCS Tart wax/wick?

Today was my first time making tarts and using parrafin (I make container candles with C3) and what a difference in techniques! I read on here that you could use this wax in a container...just for the experience, I'd like to try it in an 8oz. reg. jj but have NO idea about wicking parrafin or pour temp. On hand, I have some LX 20,22,24, 26; HTP, ECO, & Premier 700 sample packs, and CDN 12, 14's...any suggestions? TIA

Yes, its the new one that comes in flake form...on TCS website it says to pour around 170* and they turned out nice but with a dimpled look instead of smooth. Already the ct is impressive :-)

Yes, its the new one that comes in flake form...on TCS website it says to pour around 170* and they turned out nice but with a dimpled look instead of smooth. Already the ct is impressive :-)

Sounds good so far! If you have zincs, you could try a 51 or a 44 in your 8 oz jj. I'm not sure which HTP wick corresponds to that, but it would be HTP 83 or smaller.

Ok, this is from The Candle Source spokeperson.... me, :laugh2:

I've been using it for a long time and I've yet to find a tart wax that throws as great as this one and trust me, I've tried just about every wax out there, combinations, etc. My advice in regards to using it for container candles is: forget it.

TCS wax makes beautiful, strong tarts but it's a true, through and through beotch to wick!! There are just a handful of FOs that will work, so I do not use it that much for container candles, I mix it with other waxes and then it's great; on its own, you'll end up bald in no time at all trying to figure out the wicking, lol. I tried the new TCS wax for containers and boy, what a dud!

However, if you really want to give TCS wax for tarts a try in containers, by all means do; for me, the vast majority (of the handful of FOs) do best with the zinc wicks, which is also the type of wick that Loren recommends for this wax.

Please don't let me discourage you; I'm saying this based on personal experience; you may have better luck. Never wicked an 8oz. jj but I would start with a 51z.

One last thing: I do not follow the directions given on Loren's website regarding heating and pouring temps; I learned this wax is quite "sensitive" to temps.

Good luck!:grin2:

Ravens, thx for the advice...think Ill stick with what I know as far as container candles go. I was really surprised at how quickly this wax heated up and how fast it cools down, by the time I was pouring the sixth tart tin the wax was too cool to pour and I started pouring at 170*!! Do you think it would help the 'dimples' if I do a 70/30 blend with C3? Really impressed with the ct, Im assuming I should let it cure 3-4 days before testing...tia

Ravens, thx for the advice...think Ill stick with what I know as far as container candles go. I was really surprised at how quickly this wax heated up and how fast it cools down, by the time I was pouring the sixth tart tin the wax was too cool to pour and I started pouring at 170*!! Do you think it would help the 'dimples' if I do a 70/30 blend with C3? Really impressed with the ct, Im assuming I should let it cure 3-4 days before testing...tia

Yep, that's how that wax behaves, but I looooove it! (as Jeanie can attest, right Jeanie?:wink2: ). You may want to try the C-3; personally I would not, especially not at 70/30. Instead I'd use a paraffin like the 4633 or 4630, but still not at 70/30.

Let it sit a few days; 4 days will do. Keep us posted, ok?

Best of luck!

Sincerely,

TCS "spokeperson", lol

Ok, Jeanie, out with it! Who spilled the beans?? :shocked2: Omg, the secret's out!

:lipsrseal

Hey, I was just talking about you on another thread. Didn't know we had two going about this wax.

Edited by jeanie353
thread instead of post

:lipsrseal

Hey, I was just talking about you on another thread. Didn't know we had two going about this wax.

Yes, I just noticed that; wonder where it'd fit best, in this forum or the wickless; after all it can be used for containers, votives and tarts.... idk

So wish this wax wouldn't be such a PITA to wick:angry2: I'm toying with a few ideas.... time will tell:grin2:

The other one is hidden from me until someone new posts but do you know if they are both in General? Seems those interested in tarts are finding both since you've had action on them.

Which one are you trying to wick...the new or old? Multi-tasking one or container one?

You've tried CBL129 right? That one is not bad to wick and does have good HT. Excellent HT for tarts. Or did the last I tried it. I don't remember how long the tarts lasted compared to TCS though. However, seeing you have stock in the company, you'd probably want to stick with TCS :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

No, I see one in the General and one in the wickless. Imo, the CBL 129 has great HT but does not last as long as TCS. wicking TCS is much easier if you mix it with another paraffin. Right now I'm testing the 125 with excellent results, but will be trying different wicks. I'm on a mission, Jeanie, I want to end up with a candle on steroids:laugh2:

If DH thought my tarts are so strong to make his nose burn and his eyes water, watch out, buddy, the Steroid Candle will soon be here, bwhahahaha!

Right now I'm testing the 125 with excellent results, but will be trying different wicks. I'm on a mission, Jeanie, I want to end up with a candle on steroids:laugh2:

If DH thought my tarts are so strong to make his nose burn and his eyes water, watch out, buddy, the Steroid Candle will soon be here, bwhahahaha!

Looking for a Steroid Candle are ya? Have you tried CS Smoke & Odor Remover with 125? Burned my eyes...a lot! Had to cut that one way back. Also, Peak Mulberry mixed 50/50 with AH. I try to use those for testers b/c if the candle doesn't have excellent HT with those FO's, I know something is very wrong.

If you have any 130 around you might want to try mixing it 50/50 with 125. 130 isn't throwing on its own for me but sure is mixed with 125. But I do have my wax settled once again. Just crossing fingers the blends don't change *shudder*