hurricane candle repair

Hi, I'm extremely new to candlemaking and I'm in trouble. Recently I damaged my wife's favorite candle, a 7" diameter x 11" tall, 1" thick walls, wax hurricane with sea shells imbedded in it. I started the fireplace heater one morning and failed to realize that the candle was setting on the hearth in front of it. It melted a V-gap 3" wide at the top down 2/3 of the candle. I saved the wax off the hearth and would like to try to fill the gap with it. I've fabricated a sheet metal form to go around the outside and an insert for the inside. I have a hot plate, double boiler, and thermometer. From what I have researched, I'll need to melt the wax to 190°, pour, and then follow with a water bath. My questions are: a.Will it work? b.Will the hot wax melt into (bond) the existing walls of the candle and/or would it help to drill small holes in the walls to help lock it in? c.I may need to add a small amount of additional wax to what I salvaged, to reach the original height of the candle, so if I'm unable to find some high melting point wax, can I just blend in a regular stick candle or something? Thanks for any tips or advice.

You would probably have better luck melting the damaged hurricane down and learning how to make a new one with the previously embedded shells and the old and new wax. I don't think you will be able to match the wax shape or color (older wax will a different color white than the newly melted).

I feel for you. I could think of a bunch of things we do as men that we wish we could fix. The beauty of a hurricane is that it is a one of a kind to be cherished. When gone, it is gone.

The only way to fix it that I can think of is if you were to perfectly match the mold and the insert, then pour the melted wax into the gap and smooth it out.

The better way to fix it would be a very nice replacement candle. A very nice dinner. A box of Hawaiian Host Chocolate Macadamia Nuts. Doing laundry for a week. Vacuuming for a week. Washing her car, maybe even buying a new one for her. A gift certificate to Gadabout. And if those don't fix the broken hurricane, buy a heated jacuzzi. Oh, and get the cat a new toy.

LOL...I bet that you got yelled at good too GFT. I'm sorry...I wish I could offer advise. The fact that you are searching for

a way to fix her candle...well, that my dear man, is wonderful. My husband would turn it back on me and say I should have

never left the candle NEAR A FIREPLACE and it would all be my fault it melted. So...I give you huge kudos for trying :) :)

Since it is pretty much destroyed anyway, it can't hurt to try fixing it.

Let's assume it is uncolored, so you don't need to do anything to match the color.

Based on your description, you'll need more than a small amount of wax to add to the wax you salvaged. You'll need about 6.2 lbs. I assumed the cavity inside is 5 inches in diameter and 10 inches deep, from your description.

Choose a wax that looks about as opaque as the hurricane is already. I would probably use a wax with a slightly lower melting point than the hurricane is made out of. You can use the salvaged wax to determine the melting point by melting it down, letting it cool, and measuring the temperature that it begins to solidify. This will give you a ballpark melting point. Then choose a supplemental wax with a melting point that is about 10-15F lower.

If there wasn't anything embedded in the v-gap section, you won't need the insert. Instead you will just use the sheet metal form that you have fabricated (a mold). Place the hurricane in there. Fill it with your melted wax (now a mixture of the salvaged wax and your supplemental wax). for the pouring temperature, go about 25F higher than the supplemental wax's melting point. This should give you enough time to work with it, without having too much of a melting effect on the pre-existing shell (and now you know why I suggested a lower MP wax).

Immediately chill it in a water bath. The area that is missing should solidify the fastest since it is not insulated like the rest of the shell (the shell is an insulator). When it is a little thicker than the pre-existing shell, dump it out.

After it cools enough to remove from your sheet metal form, use a heat-gun inside to then remove some excess wax to achieve the desired thickness. I'm thinking there may be some blemishes on the outside too that a small knife and a heat gun will help you with.

It sounds like a really fun challenge, and if you pull it off you'll be a hero. If you choose to do it, please post some before and after pics if you can. Good luck!

You would probably have better luck melting the damaged hurricane down and learning how to make a new one with the previously embedded shells and the old and new wax. I don't think you will be able to match the wax shape or color (older wax will a different color white than the newly melted).

This is what I had to do over the years....even with small damage you have to start over. Sorry ): That's the name of this game.

Donita