where to place wicks

I have tripled wick a few containers and, yes, you have to keep the wicks away from the edge of the container. An inch is a good starting place. I am not aware of any formula and considering all the variables (type of wax, wick and FO), I'd be surprised if there was one. My placement is derived by trail and error, not too close to the edge and not to close to the center. You may be a cool spot but after the half way point it should catch up as the glass heats more.

Thank you folks for answering my question. I did not know if there was a standard and the quote of needing to be an inch away from the glass seems to be in keeping with what I am finding out with my burns. I am using a 4-inch straight side container and at present, the wicks are set at about 3/4 inch from the outside or really the inside. I have tried many different wicks and all seem to produce a full melt pool within 1-1/2 hour. At present, a LX 12 seems to be working good. The wax is about 3/4 gone and although you can pick up the container and not have to call 9-1-1, it seems a bit warm for me. I will try my next test moving them into an inch. Thanks again people.

Wolverine

How's your scent throw? I would try a smaller wick before I would rearrange wicks. When you say 3/4" in, are you referring to the actual wick or the metal tab? I don't have a 4" tin here now that I can measure but 3/4" from the side of the container seems like the wicks are spaced pretty far apart. When you started burning, did the melt pool reach the sides of the container before it reached the center of the candle? You need to find that magic point where it hits the container sides and the center at pretty much the same time.

Like everything else candlemaking, you'll just need to test, but don't sacrifice throw. When I was making 4" tins, I generally used 3 HTP 52's or HTP 62's. I don't recall ever using LX in tins. What kind of wax are you using?

I am using a glass container and the wicks are 3/4 inch in to the center of the tab. The HT and CT is great using 8% of Vanilla Hazelnut from CS and 464. Tried a lot of different wicks and most made the container a tad warmer than should be. The ECO 2 had a nice flame but that also was a tad big. Waiting for a spool of ECO 1 and I have a feeling that is the wick that will work best. From the Info. I have been getting, it now appears that the distance in for the wick should be more than what I am using. I will pour a new candle with the ECO 1 and move the wick in to 1 inch and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

I am using a glass container and the wicks are 3/4 inch in to the center of the tab. The HT and CT is great using 8% of Vanilla Hazelnut from CS and 464. Tried a lot of different wicks and most made the container a tad warmer than should be. The ECO 2 had a nice flame but that also was a tad big. Waiting for a spool of ECO 1 and I have a feeling that is the wick that will work best. From the Info. I have been getting, it now appears that the distance in for the wick should be more than what I am using. I will pour a new candle with the ECO 1 and move the wick in to 1 inch and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Think about CD-5s? These worked well for me with 464 in a 4" double wick.