Remelting and adding more wax to diffuse scent?

emahleem

I made these tarts trying out a new fragrance and it turns out the fragrance is VERY strong. After going back and looking, it turns out I used more than twice what I should have used. I'd like to use the tarts I made instead of wasting them and making a new batch with less FO. Can I just melt it down and add more wax, or does it not work that way? I can either put my tarts in with solid wax and melt it all together, or melt them each separately and then mix. Anyone have experience doing this??

BTW the FO is fruit slices from candlewic. Smells GREAT! I think it smells just like a fruit roll-up... http://www.candlewic.com/Store/Product.aspx?q=c148,p72,fScents

Edited by emahleem

I made these tarts trying out a new fragrance and it turns out the fragrance is VERY strong. After going back and looking, it turns out I used more than twice what I should have used. I'd like to use the tarts I made instead of wasting them and making a new batch with less FO. Can I just melt it down and add more wax, or does it not work that way? I can either put my tarts in with solid wax and melt it all together, or melt them each separately and then mix. Anyone have experience doing this??

BTW the FO is fruit slices from candlewic. Smells GREAT! I think it smells just like a fruit roll-up... http://www.candlewic.com/Store/Product.aspx?q=c148,p72,fScents

I've done it for home use when the same thing happened. If you remember the amount of wax you used, you could put that same amount in your melting vessel to go at 1/2% FO you originally used, or 1/3, etc.

I'd toss the tarts in, add new wax and let it all melt together and repour them. If you added color to them you may want to add a little more also.

This isn't something I'd do if they were going out for sale but for testing or home use....I don't see why not.

Have fun :)

If you slowly melt your goofed wax, along with unscented wax, and just do bring it up to your pour temp ( keep a really good check on it ) , it should be fine to repour and sell. If you do it slowly and don't do it for very long, it shouldn't burn off hardly any scent at all.

I did this once, with BCN's "Goddess" . It was supposed to be 1/2 oz pp and I didnt think and did it at 1:1. WHEW WEEE that was some strong stuff.

The watered down version I did by adding additional wax, I kept a check on it for about two weeks.. and watched the HT scent... it was fine.

If nothing else, if you feel funny about selling something you had to repour .... just make it a Special of the Month type thing and lower the price a little.

Edited by blacktieaffair

• 2 weeks later...