It's Hard!

Candle making that is :)

Been at this nearly 3 months. I just looked at my spreadsheet. I have tested 92 candle combinations, and only have 1 that performs well...UGH!

The good thing is that I think I have found my baseline wick(s) and FO combo. Now I just need to find the FO's that perform well.

What wick did you settle with? I like the htp's...but I brought out an old jar that I had double wicked 2 years ago with zincs and man...

it's a GREAT candle. I can smell it thru my whole house while it's in the kitchen. I'm using 4627, and I know some love zincs with it...but

I was using the htp's since they are recommended for it. But I'll tell ya...that zinc wicked candle kicks butt!

All I have to say is I have been making candles for years and just when you think you have it figured out then some thing happens. The wax, fragrance, wick, or time of year all have a whole lot to do with it. Do not listen to me I am just grasping at straws so they say.

What wick did you settle with? I like the htp's...but I brought out an old jar that I had double wicked 2 years ago with zincs and man...

it's a GREAT candle. I can smell it thru my whole house while it's in the kitchen. I'm using 4627, and I know some love zincs with it...but

I was using the htp's since they are recommended for it. But I'll tell ya...that zinc wicked candle kicks butt!

I'm using zincs with 4627 after the HTP wicks drove me crazy, and I LOVE ZINCs with 4627!!! I am never switching again. I also LOVE zincs in 6006.

I use CDNs mostly (sometimes CD) with 464. I could not get a full MP with HTP (+3" containers)

It's much harder and takes much longer and costs much more money to develop a successful soy candle line. I had my heart set on soy at first, but only because I had been unduly influenced by all the hype I read on candle makers' websites. It's all a bunch of balderdash! I'm so happy I've been deprogrammed from all the brainwashing now and I love paraffin. But, if you adore soy candles, carry on...but just know it's extremely difficult and expensive.

I fought using zincs for sooooo long because I thought people would freak out seeing a little wire in the wick so I spent 100's of dollars on sample wicks from all over the place. I finally gave in and tried my wax blend with a zinc and have never looked back! It is truly what I consider close to a perfect burn. Now I am currently working on a natural candle and CD's are in the lead for it so far.

I fought using zincs for sooooo long because I thought people would freak out seeing a little wire in the wick so I spent 100's of dollars on sample wicks from all over the place. I finally gave in and tried my wax blend with a zinc and have never looked back! It is truly what I consider close to a perfect burn. Now I am currently working on a natural candle and CD's are in the lead for it so far.

Zinc is natural! It's the same zinc in supplements from the health food store, and in zinc lozenges. It's healthy for you, but I read that it doesn't vaporize when burned like lead does, so it can't be inhaled. I don't know if that's true or not, but even if you did breathe traces of it, it would be good for you.

I poured a 7 oz lilac candle in my new black jar from general wax last night. I wicked it with a 44-32-18 zinc and lit that puppy up this morning.

Within 10 minutes the scent throw filled my kitchen! It has been burning for just over an hour now and the melt pool is spot on and the flame

is just beautiful :) :)

I poured a 7 oz lilac candle in my new black jar from general wax last night. I wicked it with a 44-32-18 zinc and lit that puppy up this morning.

Within 10 minutes the scent throw filled my kitchen! It has been burning for just over an hour now and the melt pool is spot on and the flame

is just beautiful :) :)

That's awesome! What supplier is your Lilac from? What is the diameter of your 7 oz container? Is it the Libbey Elemental jar, but any chance? I'm amazed that a little 44 zinc wick is working so well in your 4627!

I made a CS Lilac candle a few days ago, and it's strong too, but I'm not impressed with the quality and notes of the CS Lilac fragrance in 4627, so I'd like to try another.

Edited by HorsescentS

Obviously I don't know which debratant uses, but had to throw in my 2 cents - I use Peak's and my customers say it's the truest Lilac they have smelled in a candle. And, yep - it's good and strong!

Oh, thank you so much! I need to order more zinc wicks from Peak's so I'll get some Lilac FO too! :D I also want to try their rose and their gardenia, among other things. lol

Obviously I don't know which debratant uses, but had to throw in my 2 cents - I use Peak's and my customers say it's the truest Lilac they have smelled in a candle. And, yep - it's good and strong!

Amen to that ... Peak's Lilac is aaaawesome. I'm using it in 4630 and it is the best Lilac I've tried so far.

I got the lilac from general wax when I ordered the jars. It's luscious lilac. The jars are 2 1/2 in dia. at the widest point. I'm

not really sure if that 44-32-18 will work. I have different sizes of zincs but I'm forgetting which is hottest

since it's been awhile since using them. I have burned it for 6 hours total...and I have a full melt pool as of now. I do

have a double mushroom going on tho lol.

I got the lilac from general wax when I ordered the jars. It's luscious lilac. The jars are 2 1/2 in dia. at the widest point. I'm

not really sure if that 44-32-18 will work. I have different sizes of zincs but I'm forgetting which is hottest

since it's been awhile since using them. I have burned it for 6 hours total...and I have a full melt pool as of now. I do

have a double mushroom going on tho lol.

From the smallest zinc wick to the largest it goes: 44z, 51z, 60z, 62z.

I'm shocked that the 44z is working so well in that size jar. I would have expected you to need a 51z in that size jar.