Soot floating on top of my candles.

I think if anything may have changed it could be the wicks. I use the Eco series. It was the wick most recommended by Candle Science for the 2 waxes I combine and for the size jars I use. But the question is, how do you find out if they have changed and where do you start in trying other wicks?

Well that is good to know. I buy my eco's from CS as well. It doesn't happen with all scents. I have had it happen with their vanilla hazelnut and their mistletoe. Not sure why this is happening. I haven't changed anything that I am doing. I mean yes, if you don't trim the wick of your candle each time it will soot on the jar, but I don't understand the soot depositing on top of the wax.

Great suggestion. I have been reading a lot of threads and I use 4627 and 6006 and it sounds like LX is really good with those waxes. Maybe they would work better. I wonder for an 8 oz. jar with a 3" diameter and an 18 oz. jar double wicked, what would be a good starting point on wicks?

Actually, I think it may be a combination of several things. I had soot on the top of my wax when I used pink sugar FO in one wax para/soy blend, but when I changed one of the waxes, the problem was solved.

I've also had some gooey wicks that I blamed on the wax & fo combo: I made several candles using the same jar, fo & wick, but different wax/ wax combos when this happened.

Actually, I think it may be a combination of several things

I completely agree.

Since I make veggie wax candles, I've always used wicks with high temp natural wick wax and have seldom experienced this, although I have had a few FOs clot up the wick pretty badly... I have seen it happen when a container is not wicked correctly, especially if overwicked, and there is more sooting than normal because the wick isn't burning efficiently. I've also see it happen when a candle is powerburned or burned in a draft...

Without having test data from the OPs candles before and now, there's no way to really tell exactly what is causing this - a good reason to test candles methodically so you have a basis on which to compare if something goes wonky in the future.

I think I am going to experiment with wicks first. I like 6006 mixed but not straight. As far as the jar being over wicked, I don't see that as the problem because it is not sooting the jar and it actually wants to bog down in the fat part of the jar. The jar is an 18 oz. Victorian Keepsake and I have it double wicked. If it was depositing a lot of soot on the jar or was burning really hot, I would say that is the problem. I really think it is something screwy with the coating on the wick, but may be wrong about that.