How Do You Add Small Amounts of FO

Paul

I want to make some small testers, 3oz, and I want to add about 7 grams of FO to my wax. I have some clean eye droppers, the same I use for dyes, can I use these for FO or will they dissolve or change the fragrance?

Any tricks of the trade? :)

I use glass droppers for it, if I need that little. I wouldn't use the same exact ones as you use in the dye, you can have trouble if they aren't clean enough on the inside, cross contamination really sucks.

If you don't have that, you could always use a bamboo skewer (clean one) to collect drops when you are measuring out the FO. It's a pain in the arse because it takes a while, but if you don't have another option available at the time, it works. (I've done this!)

The pipettes are a great item, at 8¢ each, I'm ordering some, thanks ksranch :)

Janet, what do you use to clean out your glass dropper between FO.

I have plastic ones. Yea, I would worry about cross contamination if I used them for dyes and then FO. I should get some glass ones. Great idea with the bamboo skewer, I can imagine that is a great technique when mixing small test batches of different FO's - but alas, no bamboo and no patience. Thanks

you can pour small amounts smoothly by laying a glass stirring rod or even a straw or coffee stirrer (or bamboo skewer, I guess, tho I'd avoid anything absorbent) across the top of the bottle and pouring so the liquid runs along the rod. easy to control how fast it goes, and doesn't drop.

Or can't you just pour some into a teaspoon then add it? a teaspoon will be about 5 grams so you will have to do twice and be careful.

but the disposable pipettes are the best.

you can pour small amounts smoothly by laying a glass stirring rod or even a straw or coffee stirrer (or bamboo skewer, I guess, tho I'd avoid anything absorbent) across the top of the bottle and pouring so the liquid runs along the rod. easy to control how fast it goes, and doesn't drop.

Of course! I had forgotten this from chem lab, so many decades ago ...

I've even had problems when pouring ounces. The last grams want to run back up the bottle and onto my scale or hands. I hate the waste and the cleanup. The glass rod trick will solve this problem! Thank You!

These fix the problem for out of the bottle for me = I have one (they have small and large) on every FO...

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/LARGE-Flip-Top-Caps-(Qty-6)__A1022.aspx

I really like those. I didn't even think of that, I just presumed FO would melt them. Another item to put in my cart for Monday :)

Do they close up nicely ... no evaporation loss?

Paul,

This is where I buy pipettes...super cheap. I use them for my liquid dyes for candles and soap, and also for measuring FO. HTH.

http://www.marketlabinc.com/product.asp?strParents=1329,1330,1458&CAT_ID=1459&P_ID=5649&numSearchStartRecord=1

I have several FO's with the flip top lids; no leakage, but still kind of hard to be precise with. :)

Edited by B@BlissStreet

Janet, what do you use to clean out your glass dropper between FO.

I usually take it apart (the rubber off the glass), run it through with some of the wax/dye remover, then hot soapy water and let it dry after rinsing. It can be a pain if I'm doing a bunch of small test batches at a time, but works.

As for the bamboo skewers across the top of the bottle, that would work too, but I've never done it that way, more as pulling out drops, like you would with dye into a candle.

I have several FO's with the flip top lids; no leakage, but still kind of hard to be precise with. :)

I have my pour pot on my scale and put the FO in it directly - so I don't have any problem being extremly precise with these on the bottles. ((But, when I'm mixing or whatever where small amounts are needed - again, I go to the pipettes.))