Shipping Orders

annie123

When does a package stop being my responsibility?

A new customer bought a $7.99 item from me early this month. I shipped the item to her using PB so I have a USPS receipt showing that the item was shipped to the address she provided and I also have the tracking number showing that the item was delivered.

Now she claims she did not receive the item because she was not home that day!!! Did the package get stolen? I don't know I wasn't there.

I told her that on my policies page I recommend that people insure their packages because I will not be responsible for packages lost, damages or misplaced during transit. I am also willing to ship to a place of work or to another location where someone will be available to receive the item.

Of course nobody ever bothers to read my policies but these are my terms and if people do not agree then they should buy somewhere else.

No need to this woman is upset and has told me that she was going to Blog about my business.

I would ask her to check with her neighbors and her post office. Things get delivered to the wrong address all the time. I think we are responsible until the buyer gets their order. Insurance is for the seller not the buyer..

Post a pic of all tracking info on her Blog. I would apologize sincerely, but also let her firmly know you have taken care of business as it should be. That is what tracking numbers are for. Sometimes pkgs. do get lost or stolen. But I've found it's likely a con deal. By scaring you with threats of bad business she gets a free item.

Can you offer Ins. as an option at check-out?

Edited by ChandlerWicks
Thought of something.

Yep, don't back down - she probably got it and loved it and wants another for free. I had a package recently that showed "delivered" but I never received it. I called my post office and the boss there investigated - the mailman that day had delivered it to my neighbor. I got the package, but I didn't even consider contacting the shipper - it wasn't their problem!

I put delivery confirmation on everything. Right now I am dealing with a woman who claims that her order did not arrive. Tracking shows that it was delivered on 2/8. I told her to contact her post office and speak to her carrier. Her letter carrier told her that he delivered it as stated. She was away for a week and finally said that someone probably stole it. She did not put mail hold while she was gone. She just let her mail pile up. Tracking is to prove that I did my part. I did my part and that is the end of that. I do not feel that you owe this woman anything. Had her package been damaged or sent elsewhere regardless of whether she insured it or not, I would replace the item. But since this is not the case, be done with it.

If you don't hold firm to your policies, what's the point of having them? I had to teach this to myself -- once I got over the fear of getting a bad feedback, bad review, etc. I was much happier. There's not one person on the planet who doesn't understand that you're just going to have 'those people' that you cannot please no matter what you do.

We all know that word-of-mouth is the best form of advertising. Consider this: you give in and the lady then tells all of her friends (and posts on her blog) that all you have to do is complain that you didn't receive an item from a particular seller (in this case, you) and she'll send you another one at no charge! Now you have a hoard of deceivers on your hands. I don't know about you, but I say NO THANK YOU to that!!

Hold your ground! ;-)

If you don't hold firm to your policies, what's the point of having them? I had to teach this to myself -- once I got over the fear of getting a bad feedback, bad review, etc. I was much happier. There's not one person on the planet who doesn't understand that you're just going to have 'those people' that you cannot please no matter what you do.

Negative feedback should be a thread all its own! You are absolutely right. The fear of poor feedback often takes over a seller's good sense. I used to be afraid of bad feedback. I have never received a negative yet, but I do have a few neutrals. I got over it quickly and honestly do not fear negatives now. I realize that the customers who left me neutrals did it to other sellers and were simply impossible to please. Others were flat out crooks who wanted freebies at my expense. There ARE difficult people in this life that we have to deal with. I do a lot to ensure that customers are happy. But I will absolutely NOT have a customer take advantage of me.

Negative feedback should be a thread all its own! You are absolutely right. The fear of poor feedback often takes over a seller's good sense. I used to be afraid of bad feedback. I have never received a negative yet, but I do have a few neutrals. I got over it quickly and honestly do not fear negatives now. I realize that the customers who left me neutrals did it to other sellers and were simply impossible to please. Others were flat out crooks who wanted freebies at my expense. There ARE difficult people in this life that we have to deal with. I do a lot to ensure that customers are happy. But I will absolutely NOT have a customer take advantage of me.

Like Button!

Honestly, I'd contact the post office yourself and ask for them to check with the mail carrier. They may be able to verify that it was indeed sent to her address. If that's the case, you have the extra proof. You may need it if she goes through the bank and disputes the charges. Either way, you have a tracking number that has verified as delivered. If she goes public with it after all you've done, it's your call on weather to respond directly on her blog or not. But, I don't think it's your responsibility any more, and sounds like she is indeed looking for a freebie.