Silicone mold marketing & pricing advice...

snowman

Let me state on the front end that I am not offering or attemping to offer these molds for sale on this forum. I'm just looking for advice, suggestions and input from the many experts and veterans of the candle business.

I have purchased many molds from several excellent silicone mold makers. A few are probably members of this forum. Got no complaints about their products. I just think I have developed a better mouse trap and want the opinions of my peers. I have developed a line of molds for antique and unique bottles and jars. I am including a PVC sleeve to protect and preserve the mold as well as a wick pin. My question is; does this package look like something of interest to the market and would it sell at $110.00? Or should I quit wasting time and money and stick to making candles? Your opinions and critical evaluations will be most appreciated. J.Snowpost-13400-139458494057_thumb.jpg

Vicky - The candle is 22 oz. of beeswax. The height is 7" and it is 3" in diameter. The mold weighs 2.11 lbs and is the new Mold Star Silicone from Smooth-On. Thanks for the inquiry, I should have included these numbers in the original post.

J.Snow

Here is me I have had unusual mold made for me that are at least that big if not a bit bigger and the most I have paid is $60.00 now you add the sleeve and the pin I would go as high as $65 to $70.

You need to either get your mold material cost down or take a hit in your mark up. You do have to remember can your market bare that price in this case I do not think so. Silicone molds making is a pretty competive market.

Vicky,

Thanks for the excellent advice and words of wisdom. I made a critical mistake, which was basing my suggested price on the competition rather than my numbers. I reviewed similar size molds offered by others and priced accordingly. Not the correct method of doing business. I have accomplished my intended purpose of the original post and will adjust my sale efforts to be more realistic as well as competitive. I feel very fortunate to have this Forum as an educational resource in many respects. J.Snow

I have used a #5 cotton wick, beeswax primed and it's good - not perfect. But I don't think the usual results of a same size pillar candle is possible due to the neck-body size difference. I will take some photos of various burn stages and post for your evaluation. Thanks for your response and thoughts.

J.Snow

I have some pretty intricate 3x6 silicone pillar molds and haven't paid more than $80.00 and that was for a custom made mold. Your mold is a more 'rustic' type candle and wouldn't sell around my area and your price is pretty steep IMO.

Thanks Chris. The reality bulb is burning bright. I have sharpened my pencil and hopefully have come up with a realistic price of $78.00. The new (new to me) Mold Star silicone is a bit more expensive, but I believe the quality of the product will justify the difference. I can make a little at this price, if I don't get side tracked and waste or loose a big mix of silicone. My spouse is going to have to wait on the Lottery for her new Ford Explorer, don't believe the mold business is going to make it...