Figuring how much a mold holds in MP soap?

JanetsCandles

Yep, I'm doing multiple soaps now. I think I'm hooked. But now comes some stupid questions (again, sorry!!)

I know how to figure the amount of soap you need for CP soap, but what about for melt and pour? I'm going to be playing with some goat's milk soap, and would love to do some bars from my log mold (it's hand made, not purchased, which is why I need help here), but I have NO idea how much soap I should be melting to fill it. Is there any easy way to do this?

I have no clue if this is right LOL but it's what I found on Google :

1. Standard Square or Rectangular Molds

For square or rectangular molds, you multiply the length by the width by the height. (L X W X H) If you're not going to fill the mold to the top, just calculate to the height that you want the soap. (For example, if your mold is 4 inches deep, but you're only going to pour 2 inches of soap into it, just use "2" in the calculation.

So, let's say we have a log mold that is 15 inches long, 2.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches tall - and we want to fill the mold to the top. We multiply 15 X 2.5 X 3.5 = 131.25.

Then, we take the total volume and multiply it by .40. 131.25 X .40 = 52.5 ounces of oils.