Does coconut oil affect fragrance?

I read a blog post where someone said co distorts the fragrance - not right away, but after curing for a few weeks. Has anyone else experienced this?

Not in my experience. I lit up a candle last week made in 2003. It was made of 415, CO and BW in Lavender FO. There was no distortion at all.

HTH

thank you, thank you. this is good news, because so far I am loving the results with adding co.

I usually add it to soy when I am working with it. I did side by side back in like 2002 and found it did help with HT some. Not a whole lot but there was a difference. I like the way it helps the look of soy as well.

I'm not finding I need it for visual with C3 as that wax just seems to do it on its own. 415 needed a bit of help in that area, in my experience. I add a bit of BW also to help smooth out the burn a bit.

GL with your candles.

Edited by jeanie353

I'm gonna take a guess that the dye the candlemaker used had more to do with the scent morphing than the CO. I had personal experience with scent morph using certain liquid dyes in my palm wax. Once I switched to another type dye no more scent mishaps. Sometimes inexperienced candlemakers will blame the wrong additive for the problem rather then figure out the real culprit.

I usually add it to soy when I am working with it. I did side by side back in like 2002 and found it did help with HT some. Not a whole lot but there was a difference. I like the way it helps the look of soy as well.

I'm not finding I need it for visual with C3 as that wax just seems to do it on its own. 415 needed a bit of help in that area, in my experience. I add a bit of BW also to help smooth out the burn a bit.

GL with your candles.

Jeanie - how much bw and co would you recommend? I've experimented with 1/2 tsp. of co pp and really liked the results, but I'm not sure how much higher than that I can go, or where to start with adding bw. would really like to try, though. thanks.

Jeanie - how much bw and co would you recommend? I've experimented with 1/2 tsp. of co pp and really liked the results, but I'm not sure how much higher than that I can go, or where to start with adding bw. would really like to try, though. thanks.

This awesome thread has almost 30 pages with everything you would ever need to know about adding coconut oil: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?52565-adding-Coconut-oil&highlight=adding+coconut+oil

With the BW you'll possibly end up changing your wicking if you add more than 1 oz pp. I use BW to slow down the burn, help smooth out the burn and give the soy some help with appearance.

CO can do almost the same thing. Maybe even the same thing but going too high will cause cracking and also could cause your HT to go the wrong way.

I added 1/2 T of CO to soy and 1 oz BW pp of soy normally. Also added 1/4 T USA or UA (one for all waxes).

There is a cost factor there to consider since BW is so expensive.

If you are looking to only help smooth out and slow down the burn a small amount, I think you could get away with CO only. If you want more help in those areas then I'd suggest the BW too.

Play around with the CO if you want and see how high you can go before you get results going negative on ya. I've read people using amounts all across the board including 1 oz of CO pp of soy.

Last week I had a C3 sitting here in a Madison 7.5 oz jar (cold) while burning a 16 oz Keepsake jar across the room of a paraffin. The Madison C3 was made from a 1 lb batch.... had 3 oz BW, 1T UA (the one used for all waxes from BCN, I believe) and 3/4 T of CO. The CT in the small Madison was over powering the HT of the larger 16 oz Keepsake. I have not had BW affect the HT of soy in a negative way. Not saying it can't happen because I don't know....I've just not experienced it.

My goal is to try to get CDs or CDNs to burn smooth all the way through the candle's life. Am trying to achieve that with the BW. Am getting closer.

edit... to add when using the high amounts of BW/CO/UA in the C3 batch above, my wicking went up 2 sizes and did not begin to clean up 1/2" of tunnel until 3rd burn. That burn took the hang up down to about 1/4". Is burning the 4th burn now and looks as if it will lose hangup totally. I think one more larger wick size would of helped hangup earlier w/o causing a torch. Will be testing that probably next week.

HTH and GL

Edited by jeanie353