Coffee urns for melting wax

Ok tried the turkey fryer thing and HATED it. The one I got had the heating element touching the wax which started smoking like crazy. I thought it would calm down but got worse. The digital panel wouldn't let the temp come down. I unplugged it and the whole digital display went dead when it was plugged in again. Not a fan of the turkey fryer now.

I'm looking at other options and I've been eyeing coffee urns to warm the wax in. I'm wondering if anyone else is using them.

Been using the presto pot but refilling it up to 15 times per order is soooo time consuming.

The pot was filled to over half way that's why I thought the smoking was weird. But when the display was reading it said 200 degrees, so I'm sure if the display was working I could have started at a lower temp and that should have helped. But bottom line is I'm not comfortable with the oils straight on the coils.

Are there turkey fryers that have the heating element inclosed like a presto pot?

Sounds like your turkey fryer was defective... but I don't blame you for your feeling about direct contact with the coils. I have never been able to feel comfortable with that concept myself.

The problem with coffee urns is you cannot control the temperature. I make 9# batches in my Presto, so if you are refilling yours 15 times, you're going through almost 3 cases of wax! IMHO, it's time for a REAL melter if you are doing that much volume. Another solution would be to purchase another couple of Prestos... I have 3 and it really helps!

Mine only holds a max of 6lbs at a time, roughly 96oz. So it is actually only around 90lbs of wax.

The temp control was the main question I had with the urns.

I guess I'll just get a couple more prestos. I looked at target and walmart and they don't carry the larger ones anymore.