Wow you learn something new everyday

I wanted to find out the % of igi 6006(paraffin/soy %) so I called IGI and was told they dont disclose that information because a person could try to replicate the formula. I was not aware of this. I am mixing igi 6006 and 4794 and was just curious as to how much soy IGI 6006 has in it. guess I will never know. the joys of testing lol

Edited by mzphee

I wanted to find out the % of igi 6006(paraffin/soy %) so I called IGI and was told they dont disclose that information because a person could try to replicate the formula. I was not aware of this. I am mixing igi 6006 and 4794 and was just curious as to how much soy IGI 6006 has in it. guess I will never know. the joys of testing lol

I've always read that it's 30% soy 70% paraffin. I can't remember all the sources I've read that aside from this board.

In discussions on this board I see the mix reported as 70/30 but I imagine you have seen these as well. When people add soy to a paraffin wax, what changes are they looking for?

I do it to change the appearance of the candle and to help tame the wick a bit. But just found this week going from CD to HTP I've got a better flame (more stable) and so far am not noticing a loss in HT. I'm working with CBL125 and J50 alone as well as blending 6098 with CBL125 & J50.

My original wax (parasoy) lost its HT no matter which type FO or wick I put in it. A CD will pull some HT but the burn is too unstable for me to be ok with. By that I mean it is flickering a lot, bending over and sometimes wrapping the flame around the wick.

Also between this week and last have been working with C3. On its own, with USA and/or CO and/or BW. Also have done a few blends with C3 and CBL125. Have found using C3 without paraffin added, along with the BW and USA or CO are taming the flame a bit and enhancing the HT. This has been on cures of 1,2,3,4,& 5 days.

I do it to change the appearance of the candle and to help tame the wick a bit. But just found this week going from CD to HTP I've got a better flame (more stable) and so far am not noticing a loss in HT. I'm working with CBL125 and J50 alone as well as blending 6098 with CBL125 & J50.

My original wax (parasoy) lost its HT no matter which type FO or wick I put in it. A CD will pull some HT but the burn is too unstable for me to be ok with. By that I mean it is flickering a lot, bending over and sometimes wrapping the flame around the wick.

Also between this week and last have been working with C3. On its own, with USA and/or CO and/or BW. Also have done a few blends with C3 and CBL125. Have found using C3 without paraffin added, along with the BW and USA or CO are taming the flame a bit and enhancing the HT. This has been on cures of 1,2,3,4,& 5 days.

Yes, the dancing flame is an issue for me as well. I moved to the CD wicks from HTP to get a better HT but the dancing if annoying, I may have to do some side by side comparisons. At 20% soy (464) in 4630 I have not noticed the flame being tamed. I don't want to go too high on the soy as the 4630 has a great HT.

Yes, the dancing flame is an issue for me as well. I moved to the CD wicks from HTP to get a better HT but the dancing if annoying, I may have to do some side by side comparisons. At 20% soy (464) in 4630 I have not noticed the flame being tamed. I don't want to go too high on the soy as the 4630 has a great HT.

Yep, that is what I'm concerned about too. Just enough soy to help the burn but not hurt the HT from the paraffin. If you do the side by side comparisons would you want to report back on your findings?

Yep, that is what I'm concerned about too. Just enough soy to help the burn but not hurt the HT from the paraffin. If you do the side by side comparisons would you want to report back on your findings?

Of course I would report back, love to share. I just need to decide on a parasoy ratio.

Of course I would report back, love to share. I just need to decide on a parasoy ratio.

Great. TY I've went up to 4 oz soy/12 oz paraffin and didn't lose any HT....that is on the wax/wick combo I could get HT. They did improve with cure but could burn them the next day. Going higher they acted more like soy and had to cure 5ish days and lost HT. Gonna have all gray hair by the time this is figured out.

IMHO, 6006 is 80/20 Soy. The 4794 works well with the 6006, but 4794 requires a repour, so much over 10 or 15% 4794 will cave in the middle. 4794 is much harder than 6006 and will pull away from the sides and will rattle in a container. We use 70% 4794 and 30% 6006 for our clamshells and it works great. The shrinkage does not hurt the clam and it releases easily.

Zinc wicks work well in 6006. Some people at coconut oil to their 6006, and I think it helps with appearance, adhesion to the jar, and HT. I can't remember how much they add, but if I use 6006 again, I'm going to try adding CO.

Edited by HorsescentS

Zinc wicks work well in 6006. Some people at coconut oil to their 6006, and I think it helps with appearance, adhesion to the jar, and HT. I can't remember how much they add, but if I use 6006 again, I'm going to try adding CO.

I believe the rule of thumb is less for soy and more for paraffin. Up to 1T for paraffin? Just ran across that this week and forgot the high end limits. Do remember it said we could go higher on paraffin. Then again it could another of those subjective things where each has their own opinion based on their own results. If I find the site again, I'll post the link.

I believe the rule of thumb is less for soy and more for paraffin. Up to 1T for paraffin? Just ran across that this week and forgot the high end limits. Do remember it said we could go higher on paraffin. Then again it could another of those subjective things where each has their own opinion based on their own results. If I find the site again, I'll post the link.

Thanks, Jeannie. I don't remember reading about using CO in paraffin, only in soy and parasoy, so that's very interesting. IGI 4627 Comfort Blend paraffin, that I'm currently using, is so soft already, I dunno if I'd try it in this stuff. It shouldn't need it.

Thanks, Jeannie. I don't remember reading about using CO in paraffin, only in soy and parasoy, so that's very interesting. IGI 4627 Comfort Blend paraffin, that I'm currently using, is so soft already, I dunno if I'd try it in this stuff. It shouldn't need it.

I'll try going through my history to see if I can find it. Once I start searching I'm all over the place but will give it a try.

Horsescents....I did a little searching and could only find it on the net advising it can be used in soy and parasoy to harden/raise MP/enhance HT. If I get time later or tomorrow I'll look further. This last week I've put 1 T in some of my paraffin candles and had no adverse affects. Also don't know if I had any positive affects because I'm fairly new to using some of the paraffins I'm trying out now.

So to be on the safe side until if/when I can find where I read it, it might be best if I say those amounts I referred to were soy/parasoy...not paraffin. :confused:

Good luck with your testing

IMHO, 6006 is 80/20 Soy. The 4794 works well with the 6006, but 4794 requires a repour, so much over 10 or 15% 4794 will cave in the middle. 4794 is much harder than 6006 and will pull away from the sides and will rattle in a container. We use 70% 4794 and 30% 6006 for our clamshells and it works great. The shrinkage does not hurt the clam and it releases easily.

I have been using a 50/50 blend of this in my clamshells, and 6006 in my jars..I like it but with the clamshells my scent doesnt last longer than 8-16hrs for two blocks...could this be because of the 50/50

In my experience, the 4794 had good HT but does not last very long at all.

I have been using a 50/50 blend of this in my clamshells, and 6006 in my jars..I like it but with the clamshells my scent doesnt last longer than 8-16hrs for two blocks...could this be because of the 50/50

In my experience, the 4794 had good HT but does not last very long at all.

Hi Ravens!! I know I want a wax that the hot throw last, I dont know how people are getting 4794 to last, I saw one post that was 2days her melts were lasting...ok im gonna stop I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE WICKLESS SECTION! LOL