Dirty Mottle

tlc

First of all I am posting here b/c these are not worthy of the Candle Gallery and I am hoping to learn a thing or two.

I poured these on Sunday and un-molded last night (Monday). This is what I did/used:

1274 Mottle Wax

Blue dye, red dye and black dye~ all liquid

Stearic

Cinnamon buns f/o (I know it doesn't go with the colors but I LOVE it :drool:)

3x6.5 mold

3x4.4 mold

Blue candle~ heat to 195*. Add 6 or 7 drops blue dye around 190*. Next 2 tbs plus 1.5 tps stearic then stirred lots. Added f/o 1.3 oz about 190* to 185* and stirred to 180* and poured into room temp mold.

Red candle~ heat wax to 195*. Add 8 drops red dye and 1 drop black around 190*, stir then added 2 tbs stearic and stir, stir. Added f/o (.9 oz) at 190* and stirred to 185* then poured.

I clean my molds with a heat gun or oven (whichever is handiest) then I wash them in dawn dish soap and dry.

I call these a dirty mottle due to this build up of gook. It's not f/o all together but like a sludge. I don't have the seepage like I did when I poured my very first mottles a couple of months ago. They do have this sludge type residue over the whole candle but is mainly concentrated at the top. I have to wash my hands after handling them. :shocked2: There are tiny pin holes on both candles, not tons of them but they are there none-the-less. You can see the pour marks on my second pour :embarasse

I'm also throwing in a pic of my pouring pot which shows the residue on the bottom. I have never seen this before and wondering if it's the stearic stuck to the bottom?? I've never used stearic before so I dunno.

101_0423.jpg

101_0429.jpg

101_0430.jpg

101_0433.jpg

101_0437.jpg

Ahhh welcome to the wonderful world of mottle!

I have done mottle candles for 20 years and what you have there is more scent than the wax could hold. :( Remember in most candles there is vybar or another binding agent. In a mottle, nothing.

The max load that I recommend with the 1274 is 6% sometimes less. Back down the fragrance amount and that will stop and not happen again unless the fo is super heavy. Also I use 3 tbsp per lb steric in a straight paraffin but don't add steric to 1274. It already has it :)

Simple solution, less fo and you will be golden :)

Yep, my green ones had that ugly slimy sludge too!! Too much FO - now I did add steric to it, and lowered the FO and everything worked great. But, Flicker's been doing it longer than me, so I would try her way first and see if you can do it without steric first. Don't give up - you'll get it, and be glad you did!!

Thanks Pam. Now the mystery is solved. I was thinking I didn't stir the stearic enough so now I feel better about that. No stearic next time and less f/o. Keeping my toes crossed.....

Would/could that (too much f/o load) be the cause of the pin holes? The pin holes seem to be mostly in the top but a few scattered in the body too.