softening a MP base

moosey

I have a clear M&P base that, in my opinion, is too hard. I do have a base I like, several actually, but this was sent to me in error & the supplier did not ask me to return it :yay:, so while it is a bonus, I don't want to just toss it! I can't afford to spend much on doctoring it up either, so hopefully the fix may be something I already have or can get at a grocery store.

Can anyone suggest which oil or additive might help?

I was well aware as I posted that most are seeking a harder bar! That's why I hesitated to make this my first post as I have been doing MP since late '06 and have tried multiple bases, additives, etc., but after lurking for months & months, I decided to register. Then I ask a question that sounds like I've never done this before...

The base in question is NG's clear, no longer available as they've gone to natural bases, if I'm not mistaken. I have used their French Milled & the Honey and both were okay, but this one just isn't tripping my trigger. I've tried a few different fo's in it, too, as in my experience even the scent can affect the outcome, but the bars seem too hard. It doesn't seem to lather much, either, which had not been the case when I tried a couple of other NG bases, but I know of a few things to try for that. I could use up the base by adding a small amount to other bases, I guess, but thought maybe someone had tried this at some point in their base testing and/or experiments.

Don't know if you want to keep it clear. Personally, I would add honey to it. I love honey soap made with clear glycerine base. It will help soften it but will give your soap a subtle honey color. If you want to go with it add a touch of gold dye to make it a golden honey color. If you don't have gold use a bit of brown, yellow, and orange.

I guarantee you will love the honey soap. I would also throw in some castor oil and glycerine at about a tsp pp of each. For the honey I'd go with 1 tbs pp. It will still be clear but golden honey colored with the honey and dye.

If you are trying to keep it clear your choices are limited to clear oils and additives like glycerine, castor oil, olive oil, tocopheral, etc. You will still have a clear enough base to see embeds in it.

Another thing you could try is adding a bit of a softer base to it. If you use part clear and part opaque you can get an awesome pearlized effect by blending the two together. I think the formula for that is 2 parts clear and 1 part opaque.

Thanks for the info! I do have plans to try a couple of the recipes you have shared, Candybee, but wanted to salvage this base, too. And I have everything on hand that was suggested as fixes (except tocopheral).

I thought I'd read that olive oil added to MP made the bars harder, though?