Lavender buds are sitting on top of my M&P, not suspending as I want

AlwaysWondering

I'm making my first batch of the Prairie Annie MP recipe. I also read the entire thread, several times, and see that CandieBee mentions to wait until MP is completed cooled before adding "items" that are meant to be suspended in the soap.

I waited until the MP had a skin on it in the presto pot, stirred it one more time, and then poured it into a new, metal, non-stick meat loaf pan. I've stirred it a few time while in the meatloaf pan to help it cool. The pan is warm to the touch, not at all hot, but also not room temperature, it is warmer than room temp. I added lavender buds and some cranberry seeds and stirred. Seems to me they all floated to the top. Maybe they need to absorb some moisture to sink a little? Or should I stir again once it become even cooler to room temp?

Thanks.

Oh what a mess. I think I waited to long to stir as I was surfing the net to find a solution. The buds almost solidified into soap on top. I stirred like a mad woman and broke up most of the solid pieces.

Let me understand what you're doing. Pouring half the batch, letting that skin. Then you add the lavender buds to the half batch in the mold or the half batch still in the pot?

I don't bother much with trying to suspend additives in my soap because I actually like that one side has them and the other doesn't.

But when I do want them suspended within the soap it is very important to let the top cool until it has formed a strong enough outer layer of film before adding your embeds, additives, etc. It just takes some practice. The smaller the additives the more you layers you may have to do.

I used to do embeds and would pour a layer of soap. Let it cool and film over. Add my embed then pour another layer. If the embed stayed in place I would slowly pour some more base. Pouring slowly over embeds is important. If the embed starts to rise that means you didn't wait long enough for the base to cool. HTH

Edited by Candybee