CS Dragon's Blood in 464 wick problem

Okay, so I am getting really frustrated with this FO. I am testing in a 6 oz tin. I started out at 8% FO (which is usually where I always start out) and I tested it with a CD 8 (which most FO's do well with in this tin), tunneled badly, so I wicked up two to a CD 12, still tunneled...tried a CD 14, same thing. Not to mention that with all three wicks, the flame was so, so tiny! Okay, so I tried lowering the FO to 6%. Started with a CD 12. The flame was decent for the first hour or so, but then same thing as before. Ugh! So frustrating.

My next step is to wick down to the CD 10 with 6% FO, see if maybe it's just overwicked.... I'd really like to figure this out. I don't think I'm going to be able to get a wick big enough for my 16 oz tin at this rate, lol. I'm just testing the 6 oz tin first, for scent throw and to give me an idea of where to start wick testing in the bigger tins.

Any ideas on what else to try?

I am not sure what could be going on there...

I use 464 and CS Dragons Blood in 4 ounce tins and a CD7 or HTP83 work just fine for me...the 83 has more hang up at first but it catches up towards the end- I also use 8% FO

I do however have a similar problem with CS Angel in this tin AND jar- I cannot wick this for anything- so maybe try the CD7 or htp83 and see what happens and maybe someone else can give more insight as to why this happens...

I use Dragon's Blood from C.S. mostly in paraffin but have used it in 464, I checked my notes and did find a mention of needing a larger wick. I have not since gone back to retest that combo. All I can guess is that the combo of 464 and the FO are either too viscous for the wick or are clogging the wick. You may have to test with wicks other than CD. Trying CDNs seems like a logical thing as does trying HTP wicks. Sorry I can't be of more help but it does remind me to get back to testing DB in 464.

I use a CD10 in that size container with NatureWax C3 and 1 oz. PP of FO. If a FO is so thick or wonky that the flame is affected, I try the same FO from a different supplier IF I really like it. If not, I move on to another. I just don't waste time trying to force a persnickety FO work in my system.

I hear ya, Stella. I'm thinking I'll leave this FO for tarts and find a different one for candles. I'm going to try one last test, pouring it without the wick and then just trying a couple different wicks that way, see if I can find one that works that way. Otherwise, I'm giving up on it. Thanks for all the replies! :-)

Jill, I had massive problems with this fo last year. Previously it had burned beautifully. I discovered what the problem was so try this: Leave the bottle of FO to sit for a few day and then very carefully pick it up and look at the bottom. Gently swirl the bottle {slowly} and chances are you will see a dark sludgy substance that had settled on the bottom. My supplier denied there was a problem but there definately was and whatever the sludge was, it was clogging up the wick soon after lighting. I even strained the oil through a science labs filters but could not get rid of all the sludge. It was fine to make tarts. I have since bought more CS Dragon's blood and was pleased to find that it did not contain the sludge and therefore burned as it should.