Gelling, Soaping Temp, and Fragrance Retention?

Francis

Please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before. I could not find any thread specifically regarding gelling and its impact on fragrance. Also, does the temperature of the lye water and the oil influence fragrance retention in any way? Since EO is very pricey, I want to do everything I can to retain its scent. A few people seem to feel that gelling reduces fragrance, but I wanted to get more opinions. Thank you all.

Honestly, I have been on both sides of this track. I used to gel everything to make sure it was totally saponified (Oven Method) and to improve intensity of coloration. Now I avoid gel like the plague, because my soaps contain milk and a gel doesn't guarantee anything. I have never noticed any difference in strength of fo but I don't use eos, so I can't help you there. Seems to me that your fragrance is incorporated into the soap and there is a fair amount of heat taking place on a molecular level as the saponification process continues. We know how most of these fos and eos behave in soaping and which ones stick, morph or fade away in the course of curing. There are some fragrances that are just not going to survive the process, no matter how much you use in the batch and some that are perfect for this application. IMHO

Steve

I've experienced scent fade or total loss with many EO's and FO's alike regardless of temperatures (even with HP where scent is added after the cook). I'm a geller who does not care to mess with preventing gel in huge molds.

The trick to sticking fragile EO's lies more in learning how to blend them with anchoring EO's. For instance, good luck with getting any citrus to stick without a good anchor like Patch, Litsea, etc. Lavender enjoys a smidgeon of Patch to anchor it, etc...

That trick, and buying your EO's from reputable sources where others who make similar products to yours find successful EO's, will help spare the losses.