Babassu Oil on eBay..Unsure of Quality

jeanie353

I found Babassu Oil on eBay for a price I couldn't get if I bought the largest amount offered at any supplier sites I've checked.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there could be a vast quality difference in oils. The person who has the Babassu has many, many other oils, butters, and more that seem to be very reasonably priced.

Being so new to B&B, M&P and soaping, I haven't the slightest clue to know what to look for on inferior products or if they are pretty much all the same. The person does have good FB. Any info would be much appreciated.

I want to make the liquid soap from a bar recipe on the forum and saw where adding a bit of Babassu helped the feel of the finished soap. Also, have seen other recipes where Babassu has been mentioned.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/150402705298?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

TIA

Jeanne

Personally, I'd buy oils only from one of the B&B suppliers mainly due to the fact that you'll get a FRESH batch. On Ebay, you have no way of knowing how old the oil is. An older oil may smell fresh at time of use but after sitting around in lotions/soap for a couple of months, it could turn rancid. Lotion with rancids oils is not pleasant..kwim

Personally, I'd buy oils only from one of the B&B suppliers mainly due to the fact that you'll get a FRESH batch. On Ebay, you have no way of knowing how old the oil is. An older oil may smell fresh at time of use but after sitting around in lotions/soap for a couple of months, it could turn rancid. Lotion with rancids oils is not pleasant..kwim

Ahh, didn't even think of the freshness :confused: Was more concerned with quality. Will go with supplier products for that reason. Thanks a bunch.

Babassu oil is a wonderful oil and you'll want to use it in things other than soap - it's great in lip balms and really special in lotions - even great rubbed straight on the skin.

When I put it in the liquid soap experiment, I really didn't measure - estimating I added 2ozs - but it did take away that draggy feeling.

Sliver..I ordered some from a supplier so I know what the oil smell, look and feel is like. Then I think I'll try the one from eBay to check the difference. At least then I'll know if she is moving good stuff or not. Can't believe she can sell it for the low amount she is.

PamW...your post is the one I read that said it took the drag away. Figured I'd better have it on hand so when I make the soap I'm not waiting around to order an additive. Picked up some other stuff while I was at it. Have wanted Meadowfoam for awhile and now I'll have that too. :)

8-Gran....I checked all the supplier I could think of (had many tabs up), went back and forth to get the best price for a not too huge amount in case the eBay person does truly have good stuff.

Thanks All for the replies

would you mind giving a link to the ebay seller?

it is in the OP's first post. The oil comes in a bottle which is different from what I get from OT...more solid like shea butter but softer. If I leave my OT oil out of the fridge then it does get really soft but never enough to pour out of a bottle.

This is very expensive at $12.00 for 12 oz, $1.00 per oz. Columbus charges 27.44 + Shipping for 7#, that's 112 oz, .24 per oz plus shipping.

e

Thanks eugenia....I did not look at Columbus. Checked several other sites for the largest qty and couldn't get it for near $12 for 12 oz. Unless my math is off :confused:

Will post the difference from the stuff at eBay vs supplier. Had to cancel my cc since it got bogus charges put on it....fraud dept flagged it so it was denied when I tried to check out. Now have to wait for new CC to get here.

Don't want to chance using a debit card in case it gets scammed too so someone can't empty bank account. The CC I use for online purchases is one I specifically have with a low limit since this did happen once before too.

it is in the OP's first post. The oil comes in a bottle which is different from what I get from OT...more solid like shea butter but softer. If I leave my OT oil out of the fridge then it does get really soft but never enough to pour out of a bottle.

Pam...who is OT?

I see where Babassu is much less expensive at OT than NDA where I ordered last night and used PayPal instead of waiting for my new CC to arrive. Also, a lot cheaper than the one at eBay. Not sure if I'll try eBay anymore or not. If so I'll come back to this thread to note if it seems to be different than product directly from suppliers.

OT is the only supplier that I've purchased Babassu oil from & I've always been happy with OT's products and service - plus they are closer to me than some of the other suppliers.....and they have some FOs that I just can't live without...kwim.