Castile vs Bastille. . . That is the Question

Francis

I am debating on whether I should make castile soap, but I am discouraged by the slime and lack of bubbles factor of castile. I've never made castile soap, and 6 month+ cure time is way too long for me to wait to find out whether I would like it or not. I love super mild and moisturizing soap, but I love bubbles and big lather, too. So, I would like to know how many of you prefer bastille to castile. Castile vs bastille, that is the question. Thanks for your input.

I am debating on whether I should make castile soap, but I am discouraged by the slime and lack of bubbles factor of castile

Have you used castile soap or are you going by what some people write about it? When one uses a poof, scrubbie or washcloth, castile makes a LOT of bubbly lather. I personally don't find it "slimy" at all. There is no law that dictates that it cure for 6 months or a year. Of course many soaps ARE more wonderful after aging for a longer time, but mine was plenty wonderful after a month or so. While castile contains only olive oil, one CAN mix things up by using different liquids instead of water, add pleasing herbs, clays, etc., so castile doesn't have to be boring. Adding some sugar will help it be more bubbly...

I make mostly bastiles because I like to play with the properties of the basic olive oil soap with different proportions of other oils.

Why not make some of both and see what YOU think?

Francis, yes there is no law that dictates that a castile soap requires a 6 month cure, but IMO any good soaper will tell you that it most certainly benefits from it and does get better with a longer cure. I would NEVER use or sell a castile soap that had not cured for at least 6 months. I will also cure a bastile soap for months too since it also has a high OO content and will benefit from a longer cure time. In fact, I just put out on the shelves of my store a bastile soap I made last June and half the batch is already gone because my customers know how nice a properly cured bastile or castile soap is. I once even cure a castile soap for 2 years just to see how it would be after a super long cure. It was divine and sold out in a matter of days! When I do make any castile soap, it sells out quickly. Anyone that has made a castile soap and taken the time to cure it properly will tell you there is a noticeable difference from it and a castile soap only cured for 1 month. I know this from my experience.

Whether to make a bastile or castile soap is really a matter of preference. Castile soaps are wonderful for all ages, especially a more mature skin type since they are wonderfully conditioning on our older, dryer skin. A longer cure time will help with what some people will characterize as a slimy feel, but will not completely alleviate it. Castile soaps are said to be some of the mildest soaps out there too. Bastile soaps can be great too and made with the right oils and butters, the slimy feel can be alleviated or cut down and the amount of bubbles increased. But, if you decide to make a castile soap, don't do yourself or your customers a disservice and not cure it for the proper time. Trust me, if you do cure for the proper time, you'll be have a wonderfully mild soap. That being said, I like them both but will always cure a castile soap for 6 months.

I plan accordingly with my castile soap so it has a good 9 month cure and I'd never sell or even use it after just a month. Bastile is ok, but nothing can beat a well cured castile soap on an overly sensitive face!! :cool2:

I plan accordingly with my castile soap so it has a good 9 month cure and I'd never sell or even use it after just a month. Bastile is ok, but nothing can beat a well cured castile soap on an overly sensitive face!! :cool2:

I wish there was a like button for your response.

How does Castile perform when used as a shaving soap?

I've never made a castile shaving soap but I would think it could be a nice shaving soap if given a proper cure time. IMO curing is the answer for a nice castile soap. The lather would be a rich creamy lather and you'd still add bentonite clay to help with the needed slip. It certainly could be worth a try. My shaving soaps do contain a high % of OO because it is so conditioning and mild on the face.

For connoisseurs and longtime soapers, I'm sure that there is a difference that is quite palpable, but I don't think anyone is going straight to soaping hell for using castile earlier than 6 months, 9 months, a year or two years. I think it's marvelous that people who have been soaping for years understand and have experienced that comparison, but folks just starting out have to begin somewhere to gain their own experiences on their way to becoming "good" soapers. Without testing at intervals, one never experiences the difference longer cures make.

I encourage you to make both and reserve several bars to test at intervals and see what YOU think, Francis. :-)

Francis, I use 5% castor in my Castile. Using a 33% lye solution will help lessen the cure time a bit. A long cure is always a good thing, IMO, for any soap. Yes, one does need to plan ahead. I made my first Castile in 2003; not sure about Stella.

I don't really know anything about either but...I do want to say that Meridith makes the BEST soaps. Great lather and the scent lingers on your skin even though it's a wash off product. Oh...and they are so pretty too. :)

Awww thanks Maggie. I do work hard on my soaps and am very proud of them. It's a true passion of mine!

I made my first Castile in 2003; not sure about Stella.

My first castile was made a couple of weeks short of a year ago, so I am definitely a noob and learning all the time.

As I said in both of my previous replies, longer cures do seem to have an effect on the properties of the bar as far as I have been able to tell at this point in my soaping obsession; however, I did not find the castile bars I made unusable or harsh in any way after *only* a 5 week cure. I continue testing all of my soapies every 3 months to see how they are doing and each time, the soaps seem to be even more pleasing than I remembered from the last time. I simply think it's important for people to do their own testing so they gain their own experiences - there's really no other way to get them LOLOL. :smiley2:

Oh Lordy, Eugenia! Who died and ledt you queen of the forum? Stella is WELL on her way to becoming an accomplished soaper. She doesn't speak out of turn, but from experience.

I do not like Castile soaps. Do.Not. 3 months, 6 months, 9 months. Not my cup of tea. but each 3 months period DRAMATICALLY improves the performance. I strongly suggest soapers make Castile, age it, and see for themselves.

And Meredith, at the risk of sounding like a know-it -all, your siggy should end "...those of us who actually do.". I'm a who, not a that. ;)

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions. I have a few batches of bastille curing (thanks Kitn for suggesting bastille :smiley2:), but I will just have to try making some castile to satisfy my curiosity. I am considering 34% lye concentration. Does that sound good?

Where are the rest of the posts? I can see others have posted but when I open the thread, they aren't there. Hmmm........
The database is having issues for the past 3 days - tips and workarounds are posted in the OT area - Board Usage Questions

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?19-Board-Usage-Questions

The post count, etc. is not accurate, but if you use the "New Posts" button at the top left of the page, the new posts do appear there. It helps to either increase the numbers of posts displayed per page (in your user Settings) or, for topics with multiple pages, click on reply, Go Advanced, then scroll down to see all the posts. HTH

Pardon the hijack, Francis. I use 33% water as % of oils (Soap Calc). HTH & have fun!! :-)

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions. I have a few batches of bastille curing (thanks Kitn for suggesting bastille :smiley2:), but I will just have to try making some castile to satisfy my curiosity. I am considering 34% lye concentration. Does that sound good?

34% is a good number.

e

My first castile was made a couple of weeks short of a year ago, so I am definitely a noob and learning all the time.

As I said in both of my previous replies, longer cures do seem to have an effect on the properties of the bar as far as I have been able to tell at this point in my soaping obsession; however, I did not find the castile bars I made unusable or harsh in any way after *only* a 5 week cure. I continue testing all of my soapies every 3 months to see how they are doing and each time, the soaps seem to be even more pleasing than I remembered from the last time. I simply think it's important for people to do their own testing so they gain their own experiences - there's really no other way to get them LOLOL. :smiley2:

All true

e

Agree actually with all of you, except I do love castile. But, the only way I knew it got better with time was by trying it every couple of months. I make mine with sugar in the lye water and with coconut milk and half the time I add some type of clay. It is my favorite facial soap. I also make castille with infused calendula and chammomile flowers and add poppy seeds. This is my favorite winter time bath bar. Planning ahead for use or selling is essential. The longer the cure.....the better the bar, ime.