Am I cooking my FO in this warmer?

Aimee81

I have a Snowman warmer from candlewarmers.com with a 25 watt halogen light bulb and my .8 oz soy wax melt reaches a temp of 230 degrees.

My other warmer has a 40 watt light bulb and with the same melt it only reaches a temp of 178 degrees.

Am wondering if the Snowman melter will cook the FO right out of my wax in a few hours. Seems like it is getting too hot and will create a very strong scented wax melt but not for an extended period of time since it will cook the scent right out.

Thanks!

Aimee81, The testing that I have done has shown me that heating your wax cubes or tarts over 180 degrees drastically reduces the longevity and performance of the FO. Most waxes warn about possibly burning or discoloring the wax at temps over 200 degrees, especially if held there too long.

As far as the 25 watt bulb heating more than the 40 watt is probably normal. The heat achieved depends on several factors. It will depend on the shape and physical size of the bulb (different shaps will focus the heat more efficiently), how close the bulb is to the bowl, how compact the bulb compartment is, is air allowed to flow through the bulb compartment, the wattage of the bulb and the material the warmer is made of. Some ceramics will transfer or absorb the heat better than others making it hotter with a smaller bulb, if the 25 watt bulb is closer to the ceramic than the 40 watt bulb it will heat it more and so on.

I guess the short answer to your question is, Yes you can burn off or degrade the FO at that temp, in my test results when heated over 185 the FOs only lasted about an hour for most and at 230 degrees I believe you will burn or discolor your wax giving off a light unpleasnt odor. HTH

I took a picture of this Snowman melter and you would be shocked at all the smoke coming off of it. See pic below

Aimee81, in the picture, is that just the bowl or is that a heated plate warmer. The only time I've seen one smoke like that is when my mom used a double height votive in her warmer. The double height put the flame too close too the bowl and it got HOT, QUICK!!!

I have that same burner and I wonder if there might be a problem with yours? Mine does not smoke at all and as a matter of fact, I could put my finger in the wax and not get burned.

Perhaps...I emailed candlewarmers customer service Dec 19th about it and haven't heard back from them...maybe they are off for Christmas.

They emailed me back yesterday and said they test their products and the Snowman melter only gets to 135-150. They are sending me a new one free of charge and having me ship back my defective one!!! They said I could pick ANY melter on their web site with the bulb if I didn't want a snowman melter, that was sure nice of them!

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would let ya all know what the final outcome was. I never did get a new melter shipped to me like they said. Instead they sent me a new light bulb and after I put that in and tested was still getting too hot of a melt pool and after telling them about it this was the response:

The ceramic does get that hot to keep the wax around 140-160 degrees. If you are only putting in a few cubes of wax then you may be reading the ceramic temperature. We have filled those all the way with wax and have read the temp and it is in that range, we have also only put in 1 small piece and gotten the same results as you. We believe that it is the ceramic and not the wax because there isn’t a whole lot of wax there to read. The warmer is only there to supply power to the bulb, the bulb is what heats the wax. The bulb is only designed to put off so much heat and can’t heat more than that. We actually have a testing area here with about 30 illuminations going full time over the last 6 months so we have some pretty good data on those. These do get hotter than the scentsy ones because we do use a stronger bulb. We have noticed that the scentsy warmers don’t always melt all the wax when you put a larger amount in and that is why we chose to use a stronger bulb.

So, needless to say, I guess I am just stuck with this warmer that reaches 230 degrees with my 1 wax melt (approx 1 oz). Unless I want to put 3-4 wax melts in this to keep the temp lower, which I don't want to do.

I will just continue to use my Better Home and Garden's melters from Walmart for $15 that work awesome with a temp of 175!