show ideas

dbsumner

What size tent is it?

How many tables do you have ? Do you have risers? Spinning racks ? What all are you selling? Will you be blocked in on each side by other vendors or will you have 3 sides open? Will you have your own table that has your cash register/sacks/etc on it and where you might sit down from time to time ? Theres a ton of things to consider.

First, always have more than one "set up" planned out. I've been to shows where I was told I had this one spot, only to get there and be moved and have to rush trying to figure out how to effectively set it all up.

I got some really good advice from Flickr once years ago ( I think it was her lol ) ... either set your tent up at home, or at least mark it out on the ground, and then take all your tables, stands, etc and set it up and start playing with it. Once you get the layout you want, I know this might be a pain, but actually put your products out on the tables like you plan on doing at the show. You might find you dont like that layout afterall ( too crowded, too one sided, no "flow", can't see over/past/around something..)

I have a 10x20 and 4 different layouts (if my tent is small side to the front ) depending on what all Im taking, how large the attendence is, and I have another 4 layouts if my tent will be running the long way ( all 20 ft to the public ).

Well I have candles and warmers and a HUGE peg board with all my tarts hanging from it i will be blocked on both sides.....I am doing Affair of the heart in Feb and most i find that peole wont walk into my tent so I usally try to put everything in front but with peg board that doesnt work haha my tent is 10x10 I want cloth or lites and ivy aroung the legs and top of tent but i looked at ivy and it is so exspensive:shocked2:

Edited by dbsumner

Look for ivy and garland and all that, the day after Christmas. I know its a hassle to go shopping then but you can find better buys than on Black Friday on stuff you'll use more than the "gift" stuff.

You can do a U shape layout, and they'll have to walk in LOL put the peg board in the center in the back, and tables on both sides of it, and running the sides towards the front.

I've sat ( bad bad back ) at the front corner of my tent, and handed people coupons, roses, samples, etc as they walk by and I try to say hey to everyone even if they dont look like they are going to come in, but try to strike up a convo with people that walk past so they have to pause, and if they pause, then position yourself to the side so they can see in while yall talk... and as soon as they look... offer them a sample or say something about one of your products to draw them in. Since you have candles, make sure you have your best selling, strongest one burning ( ok maybe not THAT strong if its an indoor show ). Everyone has burnt a candle before , so since I dont candles unless I wholesale them out from someone, I ask those that stop in to look at the candles or something " Have you tried the new thing yet? Scented wax melts? " ( or in my case, espically if they have kids, ) I mention the melts can be used in electric warmers with no flame to catch something on fire, or I point them at my TPs that they can use in Grandma's house, nursing home, dads office, Susies college dorm, ... just anything I can think of to make it original and get them across the threshold of the tent!

Oh and if you dont have samples you can hand out, make sure you carry tons of business cards. If they seem interested but hesitant, hand them a card , talk a second, and then say " here, have a couple more , that way you can hand them out to your friends too ! "

Edited by blacktieaffair

Just my $0.02. When I go to craft fairs, I hate the tents that the person is looking at me and no one else is in their tent. It's creepy. I love the ones where they are doing something. Also if a tent is too perfect, I think $$$$ and sometimes pass it by. Put your marketing hat on and think what would make you want to go into a tent. And what is your "thing." Romance, vintage, rustic, etc.

Actually was going to give some examples but let me ask, what is your theme of your company?

• 1 month later...

Not really a theme, I have candles, tarts, warmers. table are white and i have purple shelves to place candles on that are three teared to make them stand out. also going to have lites at top of tent kinda hanging down. 10x10 tent.........what do yall think:yay: