My Very First Soaps: Pic Heavy

Francis

I know they are rather ugly, but considering that less than a month ago, I knew nothing about making soap, I think they turned out okay. I really have a problem with going gung-ho with my SB, though. I add the EO after reaching trace, and I have to mix again to get the EO thoroughly incorporated. By then, it becomes super thick. Sadly, with the last batch (green top with creme base), my original intent was to attempt a swirl for the very first time. :laugh2: But the thing got so thick, so I couldn't swirl. Should I just add EO before reaching a trace? I want to be able to stop mixing at thin trace, but I am paranoid that I might end up with a failed batch if I don't mix thoroughly. Also, in that very same soap, what are those white blotches? I didn't do a zap test on it yet since it hasn't even been 48 hours. The recipe was 10% castor, 90% CO with 18% superfat w/ 100% GM. I wanted to try 100% CO soap, but thought that the castor may add more bubbles. My hubby can't live w/o bubbles and I make most of my soaps for him. This was a big batch for me so I hope I didn't screw up. :sad2: Any advice would be much appreciated. TIA.

post-14090-139458490162_thumb.jpg

post-14090-13945849014_thumb.jpg

post-14090-139458490149_thumb.jpg

post-14090-139458490153_thumb.jpg

post-14090-139458490158_thumb.jpg

I'm impressed. I haven't made my first batch yet but mine will just be plain, square, uncolored boring soap. I just hope it turns out like soap. What did you use for your colors--liquid pigment? My favorite is the last one. I'll want to find some coloring and some prettier molds than just a box.

I'm impressed. I haven't made my first batch yet but mine will just be plain, square, uncolored boring soap. I just hope it turns out like soap. What did you use for your colors--liquid pigment? My favorite is the last one. I'll want to find some coloring and some prettier molds than just a box.

Thank you everyone for being so nice about my ugly newbie soaps. Hmmm, I better do some research as to how stearic acid forms in CP soaps.

Jackie, I just used powder pigments from Brambleberry. I think liquid would be easier, but haven't tried them yet. I didn't use any proper soap molds for these soaps either, except for the flower one. For the last soap, I lined a throw away wooden box with no-melt mylar sheet from Joann. I was surprised how great the mylar sheet was for unmolding and it made such pretty smooth surface. I also used a glad tupperware for some of the ones that I cut like a pie wedge. Can't wait to get my wooden mold that I ordered!