4794 acting odd

A little over a month ago, I got a new case of IGI 4794A Paraflex that I use for just about everything I do.

Opening the case, I noticed ( barely ) that it was a little bumpy on each slab. Didn't pay it any attention.

I started making up melts, I'd do about 30 scents a day. I noticed it seemed to be shrinking a little more ( dips in the center of the clams ) and I didnt like that, but the weirdest thing is..

My melts, when used in a warmer for no matter how long, then left to solidify back up ... gets waves. Large waves. Lumpy , bumpy WEIRD looking waves.

I have never had this happen before. I have probably in the past two years, made up 5 cases of melts with this and never once had this happen nor anything remotely close to it.

It always solidifies back to a very nice, completely smooth and flat surface.

Ok, I made sure the room was the same temp as always, I have detailed notes on each scent I use, I went by the instructions for each one because with as many scents as I carry, theres no way you can remember them all.

I've talked to another lady, who actually lives in this same town, uses this wax, but she got hers from Aztec, and I got mine from Candle Science, and hers is doing the same. We both thought we were nuts until I posted this on another foreum.

I've had Candle Science saying this happens, because its manufactured in NY and its just coming out like this right now. Funny, its never done this before that Im aware of in five years.

Anyone else had this happen or have a suggestion?

Its NOT effecting/affecting the throw, hot or cold, its not messing with the melt/burn, it just looks ugly as homemade sin to me when Im used to flat smooth surfaces :(

Any idea ?

( o, and there isn't any evidence from either IGI nor our suppliers that theyve changed the formula )

In the picture... the two on the top, are made from my previous case of the same wax, bought at the same place, Candle Science.. the others are from last month.

post-14200-139458490112_thumb.jpg

Edited by blacktieaffair

Pam, yeah I figured it was an addative but since I've not had to use Vybar before ( just Stearic for my bleeding tapers ).. I didnt know what Vybar would make one do. Thanks for the tip !

RJ, I know that I emailed and talked to Candle Science and they said it was happening to everyone, and everything they were getting from NY was the same,( my favorite part of that email read:

"This is interesting, and it seems to be a problem that is only happening in tarts. IGI has not changed their formula, we check the spec sheet on every order we get and even our most recent falls right in the middle of the requirements. (You can view this on the product page, it's the 'technical info' PDF).

We had this come up last year right about this time. It seems that cooler temperatures are having a pretty big impact on this wax. What you are seeing is the result of wax that has cooled too quickly. The wax we get is manufactured in upstate NY and even the raw slabs are coming out with the rippled look. What we recommend is making sure your working environment is no cooler than 70-72 degrees and lowering your pour temperature, it should be around 150-160. This will help slow the cooling process and give the smoother finish.

I had one person who switched the 4625 which is the pillar wax, it is a little harder but holds the same amount of FO as the 4794 and they are happier with the results. It may be a temporary solution to get your order filled but I think if you try the other things first that will help."

Note : The room was 72 cause I was burning slap up ( menopause hot flashes lol ) and I ALWAYS pour at 155 low and no more than 160 high depending on how other FOs have acted in the past per my notes.

and when the other lady talked to IGI themselves ( she got hers from Aztec ) they didn't blow her off so to speak, but acted like it was no big deal.

All she and I could think of was " It's a damn good thing we aren't making actual candles with this stuff ". ( I can't even imagine what that would do to trying to keep a wick centered, u might could do it as it set up the first time, but subsequent burns would monkey it up big time.

This is the lot number for what Aztec has ( a board member here got a bad case from them , and I got the lot number today when I went by there )

Aztec : 4794 Lot number 1005914

For some reason I can't find a Lot number on any of the paperwork or box I got from Candle Science. I will email Heather right now and ask her for it.

HTH and hope you dont have the same lot! Or well, regardless of the lot, I hope it doesn't act like ours did.

It's the end of the year and the bottom of the wax barrel. I can't prove that but you can set your watch by it that as the year progresses the wax changes ever so slightly. I try to buy my wax in the spring or early summer but you always wind up having to order at the last minute toward the end of the season and the quality is not quite there.

Steve

UPDATE :

I heard back from Candle Science a second ago. They said that there were sorry, but they do not track lot numbers per order so they have no way of knowing what lot I got mine out of.

That is understandable, but Im sure that in their files they have the lot numbers of the that for the past time THEY ordered .

I asked Aztec for it yesterday, and had it in my hand within seconds ......

I wont give up my CS oils, but I might start going with Aztec for wax because at least if I need to know what lot it came out of, I can find out ASAP. ( plus there's always that lovely "no shipping" cause I'd drive over there.

Speaking of shipping I just had one of those OMG you gotta be kidding moments. Ordered a sample pack of liquid dyes, 1 .23 lbs total...

over 15.00 in shipping from Alabama to Tennessee.

*dead horse* I feel like the horse ! It costs me 26 bucks to ship SIXTY lbs of wax the same amount of distance cept from NC here... someone please explain to me how , the same mileage, will cost ONE lb to cost over half that ??????

We are doing fine blacktie but it blew our town of Cordova away. We currently do not have a grocery store and only one gas station but a new place to eat opened up and is doing good business. Jasper did not get hit as hard as others in the area. I take it you are now in Tennessee? I grew up in Knoxville (Fountain City) small world huh?

Steve