First Candle

Hi all! Made my first candle a few days ago after reading up a ton on this website along with a few books...

Poured at 135, 7% blend of CS Blue Spruce and CS Cinnamon Stick (equal parts), 16.5 oz. GB 464 wax, ECO 10 wick. Let it cure for 48 hours and CT wasn't too good. Tested it in 3 hr increments and was not impressed by HT or how it burned. The one thing that I did love was how it set--no frosting and smooth top!

Just ordered a CD wick sample and can't wait to keep testing (but going to try only CS Cinnamon Stick this time to keep it simple). Think I am going to double wick...don't want to see a big flame again! Any comments/suggestions?

post-14196-139458490088_thumb.jpg

post-14196-139458490091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris

What's the diameter of the jar? Also, 48 hours cure isn't really enough for soy. I use 464, and I cure for at least a week. Sometimes I get anxious and will do the first test burn after 5 days, but if it isn't good, then I'll put the lid back on and sit it on my shelf for a little longer. Some scents take even more than a week to cure. I've had ones that I tested after a week and wasn't too happy with, but then went back after another week or so and it was defintely much stronger after a longer cure. It's up to you if you want to wait that long or not. I've heard plenty say that there are scents that don't seem to take as long, but you'll have to do your own testing to see if you can find any that work for you. :-) Good luck, and I love that jar. Very nice!

ETA: Did you remember to trim your wick before you lit it? The unlit picture, it definitely needs trimmed before being lit. THat could be why your flame is so high. Just a thought. :-)

Edited by Jillsthings

The diameter is four inches. Jill, I think I was in such a rush to light it that I forgot to trim the wick to 1/4 inch! I just lit it again about 20 minutes ago (after trimming) and the flame seems to be better. After this burn I will take your and Beth's advice and let it cure for another 3 days and retest. But still, even now, the CT and HT are still very faint. I guess time will tell if the throw gets better.

But back to the wick question, for a jar this size, would it make more sense to single or double wick? Thanks for the advice!

The diameter is four inches. Jill, I think I was in such a rush to light it that I forgot to trim the wick to 1/4 inch! I just lit it again about 20 minutes ago (after trimming) and the flame seems to be better. After this burn I will take your and Beth's advice and let it cure for another 3 days and retest. But still, even now, the CT and HT are still very faint. I guess time will tell if the throw gets better.

But back to the wick question, for a jar this size, would it make more sense to single or double wick? Thanks for the advice!

I've never done a container that wide, but I've read on this forum numerous times to double-wick 4" containers.

I spent a lot of time and money looking for a pine FO that threw well in 464, never did find one that blew my socks off so don't get discouraged based on one FO. As for wicks, they do have an affect on HT so give those CD wicks a try. I have found that they work best for me in 464 and curing, I'd wait a week or two.

Thanks Stella! I did a little perusing and saw that you recommended testing JUST the wick and wax together. I think I am going to do that and pour 4 more candles, 2 double wicked and 2 single wicked. Do you think I should start with CD 20 and 22 for these apothecary jars? Also, does anyone have any starting point wick size recommendations for the double wicked ones (CD)?

Such a pretty lit photo!! :smiley2:

4" containers can be wicked using large wicks. I use CDN 20-22 for 4" diameters...

Yes very nice picture. And I also agree with Stella. 4" containers can be single wicked. We use apothecary jars with a 4" diameter and everything we do is single wicked. if I cant get a oil to work in my system with one wick, then it goes either into melts or into the discontinued pile, or perhaps into a different range we make with glass glow instead.

Cheers

Richard