Wicking Question

I have some 4 in wide straight jars and use 4630 wax. I know I will need to double wick this. Going to use caramalized pralines FO, with no color. A good starting point, anyone?

I have been wrestling with this problem for a while now. I have been so far unable to single with a 4" container with 4630 using LX or HTP wick. Getting a wick to produce a FMP results in soot and a hot container. Double wicking produces an equally strange results, a great burn for the first half of the candle and the the wicks almost drown out at the second have. Tried multiple FOs and all produced the same result. Wicks were LX-16, 16 and 18 (doubles), HTP83, 93 and 104, and CD5. I have no answer at this point.

Keeping in mind that I know NOTHING about paraffin wax, have you tried single wicking with a single larger sized CD? Sure works for me with soy wax...

That's on the project list, larger CD wicks, I have them and just need the time to do it. Personally, I like the look of the double wick in 4" and above but at this point I'd settle for a good single wick burn.

I know its going to be a task. Whew wish it were simpler. I did find a recommendation for a zink wick- 62-52-18. And on the Cd a 14 or a 16. Keeping in mind for a single wick. On the HTp's a 104. Caramalized Praline is a strong FO. I only have 4 of these containters a friend gave me and decided to experiment.

I do not use the 4630, but all my candles are paraffin or parasoy (6006). I am able to wick the large square Libbey containers with one single wick and have very little, minimal hang-up. I use ECOs. If you want to try them, remember those babies burn hot, so I suggest you start from a size 2 and go from there. I also use a single ECO with 3.5" containers. Next in line of testing would be the LX. These are the wicks that give me the best performance and HT; however, all this may be totally different for the wax you use.

Happy testing! :-)

I do not use the 4630, but all my candles are paraffin or parasoy (6006). I am able to wick the large square Libbey containers with one single wick and have very little, minimal hang-up. I use ECOs. If you want to try them, remember those babies burn hot, so I suggest you start from a size 2 and go from there. I also use a single ECO with 3.5" containers. Next in line of testing would be the LX. These are the wicks that give me the best performance and HT; however, all this may be totally different for the wax you use.

Happy testing! :-)

I have not tried ECOs yet but he LX wicks give me a lot of soot when wicking a 4" container with 4630. I have also used 6006 and had a soot issue too. Are the ECOs less soot producing or maybe you don't see it with wither wick?

Noticed some soot only when I first started, and it was due to the wick size (too large). Use the appropriate size of wick for that wax and container, and keep it trimmed.

However, if memory serves me right, I think the 4630 tends to smoke more easily than many other paraffins, which is only one of the reasons why I quit using it.

:smiley2:

I know its going to be a task. Whew wish it were simpler. I did find a recommendation for a zink wick- 62-52-18. And on the Cd a 14 or a 16. Keeping in mind for a single wick. On the HTp's a 104. Caramalized Praline is a strong FO. I only have 4 of these containters a friend gave me and decided to experiment.

A 62 zinc sounds right, but since it's such a strong FO and I just now read your post that the 62 did not work, I've even seen a 65 zinc wick on one supplier's website lately, but I can't remember which one. It should come up on Google.

Edited by HorsescentS

Well I got it! After 4 failed attempts I found a wick that works great. The LX 24 is the one. Its burning nice and slow, flame just right, scent throw amazing, melt pool moving slowly across the jar and almost there. What a task, but I love it.:yay:

Checked my notes regarding the LX-24 and a 4 inch container. That was one of the better ones but left a fair amount of hangup at the end. I'll be interested in hearing how yours does. Post some pictures too if you can. I may retest that size LX wick and a comparable CD as well.

Edited by rjdaines