Making loofah sponge soaps

Darbla

I've heard of pouring melted soap over a long loofah sponge and then cutting it into bars, but I haven't tried it yet. If you have, what did you use for the mold? Did you use a round mold (Pringles can? PVC pipe?) or did you just drop the loofah in a regular straight sides mold? And how long does it take for the melted soap to soak into the loofah? It seems like the loofah could be dense enough that could take awhile for you to be sure the soap is well-distributed throughout the loofah?

Edited by Darbla

I need to make some of these also. I'm going to cut mine before pouring soap over them. I going to use a mold of some kind, but I have done it without putting the slices in anything.

Just lay on wax paper, pour a little soap at a time. If you're doing several in the same scent...by the time you pour a little on each one...the first one is ready for more. Just keep pouring until it looks like you want.

It's been a couple years since I've made any of these. You can also grind the loofah up in a coffee grinder and then pour soap over it. I might try that...just happen to have a coffee grinder that's not being used.

I did my first one not long ago. I cut off a slice and sat it in the bottom of a clean cottage cheese container (trimmed it down to shorten it for easy removal). I then poured the colored and scented (orange) clear soap over it (it runs in and soaks up in the loofah quickly). I just started using it and love it! When I make it again, I want to make the slice a bit thinner, pour some soap and let it set up, then pour another layer of the same soap. This will insure it has a rough side and a smooth side. I love using it on my heels and elbows and wherever I have bumpy skin. I want to do a yellow (lemon) and a lime green one (lime), too, and package them together. Here is a pic...

post-13801-139458489324_thumb.jpg

I'm also working on a fun shaped soap for Christmas gifts for my sons that will include a loofah on the bottom for scrubbing. When I get it right, I'll post a pic.

P.S. I did spritz the loofah with alcohol before pouring the soap.

Edited by AnnieD

Here is a link to a neat project that I have not tried yet, but it looks really easy!

In that video, she says she soaked the loofah for about 5 minutes and then dried it off. I can't tell how much she's letting it dry, and it seems like if any water is left in it, wouldn't that breed bacteria trapped in there by the soap. What do you think?

In that video, she says she soaked the loofah for about 5 minutes and then dried it off. I can't tell how much she's letting it dry, and it seems like if any water is left in it, wouldn't that breed bacteria trapped in there by the soap. What do you think?

That is something to think about with the possibility of bacteria but I love how she made those. I expected it to be all uneven with the soap when she took it out but it looked sooo nice.

I don't soak mine. Never had a problem.

I did use her tip to soak the loofah in water. It didn't make it any easier to cut and if you have any leftover, it DOES mold/mildew, even in an airtight ziploc bag. Ask me how I know. ; )

Edited by AnnieD

I did use her tip to soak the loofah in water. It didn't make it any easier to cut and if you have any leftover, it DOES mold/mildew, even in an airtight ziploc bag. Ask me how I know. ; )

Thanks for letting us know that AnnieD....I definitely won't get mine wet when I do this then.

OOOH Annie & PAgirl, I love those! That is on my short list of projects I want to make and the smooth/rough side idea is a winner to me!! Thanks for sharing your pics!

wouldn't that breed bacteria trapped in there by the soap. What do you think?
Good question, Darbla, but off the cuff, I wouldn't think so because the moisture from the entire soap will mostly evaporate during the curing time anyway... Perhaps one could put some preservative in the loofah water if there is a bigtime reason for concern... Edited by Stella1952

Check this out...

I grew Loffah's one year. They grow so fast. Most of mine started to mildew before they dried out. I did get several, wish I had this video to watch back then.

I got some medium size packaged, dried loofahs at Buy For Less for $1 each.