Difference in HT

Why is it so hard for people to understand the fact that a jar with a 2 1/4" diameter is not going to throw as well as a jar with a 4" diameter.

We have been working on a range of jars for a prospective wholesale account and sent our first test marketing order to them a couple of weeks ago. We poured these in the medium status jar, and their current supplier uses the large status jar. The medium jar is of course single wicked whereas their large jar is double wicked. Their website also states "made from the finest soy based wax". They are non coloured, however no frosting or wet spots are evident, and the fact that they state "soy based wax" to me indicates a parasoy blend rather that 100% soy.

The account gave our candles out to their best customers and feedback is that they were not as strong to the point of being not noticeable at all. Now I know that this cannot be the case as like all of our products this range has also been extensively tested in our own house, in a suitable sized room for the candle jar in question.

Keeping in mind that we are always pouring / burning / testing something, which means candle nose is a distinct possibility, I am still able to smell them. No they definitely dont throw as well as our apothecary jars, but there is also 1 3/4" difference in jar diameter.

It frustrates me and make me question what we are doing. I guess it rocks your confidence a little, however in saying that, out regular customers that we supple from our shows and markets keep on coming back, which obviously means something.

Just guess I had to vent a little due to the frustration of trying to make someone who really hos no idea understand how the process works and that different sized candles are suited to different sized rooms or situations.....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cheers

Richard

I know how you feel. I sell a lot of 9 oz jars because they are the cheapest yet some want me to guarantee that they will fill a large room or whole house. I tell them thats what the 16 oz jars are for if you want scent to fill large areas. Sometimes some people just don't get it.

Humble as they are, I love my 8 oz. widemouth containers. They have a 3" opening, which usually does well in nearly any reasonably sized room (except for the ballroom and gym, of course LOLOL).

I wonder what the conditions were under which your candles were burned? Have you tried one of the competitor's candles?

Their website also states "made from the finest soy based wax". They are non coloured, however no frosting or wet spots are evident, and the fact that they state "soy based wax" to me indicates a parasoy blend rather that 100% soy.

Because C3 is labeled as a "premium vegetable wax," I describe it as a soy-based vegetable wax. It's not a "pure" soy because it contains soy based additives, citric acid and whatever else I put in it (no paraffin!). There are lots of folks who label their candles as "soy" when they are mixing with paraffin or using a parasoy. This is a loathsome, deceptive practice that truly annoys me. If "there's nothing wrong with paraffin" then one should proudly state their candles contain paraffin and not try to pass the candle off as soy.

And then again, Richard, maybe the person was blowing smoke up your kazoo and you wouldn't want them as an account anyway...

I think they girls we are dealing with are genuine. We have been working with them to test certain scents that they are looking for etc, but it is also an education process. The real question is are they also educating their customers in regards to the difference in candles as well. I admit that this particular competitor I have not tried yet, probably the only large local that I havent, and will definitely be buying one this coming weekend to see for myself. I am curious to test both for throw and burn, and interested to see if they do soot the top of the jar like most of the others we have purchased.

Although white, they appear to have no frosting or wetspots whatsoever, which is possible, although reasonably unlikely in every single candle. I am trying to guide them more towards melts, particularly if the customers are looking for scent over ambiance as a melt in most cases if not all is going to out perform a candle every time, not to mention is a far cheaper option for the customers overall if they are burning a lot of candles.

We will see what happens over the next few weeks I guess as the testing process continues.

Cheers

Richard

I am curious to test both for throw and burn, and interested to see if they do soot the top of the jar like most of the others we have purchased.

We will see what happens over the next few weeks I guess as the testing process continues.

Cheers

Richard

I hope your testing goes well Richard, there is nothing like the sinking feeling in your core when someone has something bad to say about a product you've made...been there before. This is the kind of stuff that makes us push through and make better products...and builds character...cheers mate.

Ron

I have total confidence in my products, just wish that customers were not made up from the lowest common denominator. Even knowing nothing about candles, you surely would think logic says that a smaller diameter jar is going to suit a smaller room than a larger diameter jar. It's really not rocket science I don't think.

Richard

wish that customers were not made up from the lowest common denominator

It's easy to forget how much we have learned along the way. I was as knowledgeable as the average brick about using candles when I became interested in making them. I *thought* I knew how to burn a candle (light the wick, right? Matches or lighter, your choice!). I figured, logically, that the amount of scent in them was directly related to the amount of scent they put out. I had absolutely no idea how completely ignorant I was!

One of the reasons I became interested in making candles was that I was dissatisfied with the performance of candles I had purchased, although I didn't really eve know how to even articulate THAT well... I never really thought about the diameter of the candle making a difference in how much it would scent an "average" room (what's average?)... I guess I didn't think much at all! I suppose I thought that when the wick was lit, magic would occur!

I think this was a great insight for you (and all of us reading) in the knowledge level of the general public. The problem is how to get basic information across to them, because, like I did, they think they know how to burn a candle! They think it's a "no-brainer!"

It's hard to cram information onto hang tags, brochures, labels, etc. but I think it's important for us to try because people really ARE that naive when it comes to burning candles. Perhaps offering a customer information video would help... or if for a wholesale account, a promotional "meet the candlemaker" event to educate and boost sales... Your experience really does point up how much education we all need to be providing for the general public. Doing so will not only raise the knowledge level of customers, but will generate a lot of good will and "loyalty" sales along the way.

Maybe it's as simple as putting a suggested room size on the label somewhere... assuming they will read that, of course.

assuming they will read that, of course.

Hi Stella and thanks again for a well written insightful post :)

The points that you make I do agree with. We had no idea on how to burn candles either, and yes testing has taught us so much. I guess my real point was in regards to size. One would think it quite logical that a larger candle would scent a larger room and that by placing a smaller candle into that same room, by way of logic it would just not throw as much scent. Perhaps I am expecting too much, and when chatting with customers, we do always take the extra time to educate and advise, as by doing this the customer will indeed get much better results from their purchase.

We do know that this works, as I have had many customers come back and comment on how well the candles burn and smell when they have followed our directions as stated.

Assuming that they read the label is a very good point as I reckon that most would not bother. I never used to :)

Cheers

Richard