415 testing

Does anyone have good results with smooth tops pouring this wax hotter than the recommended 100* or "slushy" without adding additives?

The reason I ask is the first time I poured this wax I forgot I wasn't using 464 and poured hotter like I always do and the tops turned out great- well after reading you are supposed to pour cool or slushy I started doing that and the tops look like something out of a horror movie- and wet spots everywhere ( I never saw wets spots yet with 464- it took me awhile to realize that is what it was)

So last night I went back and poured hotter again exactly like the first time I poured according to my notes -but they turned out just as ugly!

I want to keep testing this wax (I have gone crazy - 2 years into testing 464 and now I am starting over) as I see a big enough difference in HT from the 464 - this wax "spreads" the scent throughout the house more but is it possible to make this wax look pretty and keep it 100% soy? Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated:)

I'm no expert by any means, but I've only gotten decent tops with low temp pouring. I do it just before slush when it's syrupy. This is the best I can get... I'd love to see other 415 tops to see what I should be trying to achieve, lol.

post-13903-139458489063_thumb.jpg

Thanks Beth- That is way better than I am getting pouring cool- my first batch poured hot were more like that...are you getting wet spots at all? I have never warmed my jars either with 464 and thinking maybe I should give that a try as well

Yep, still getting wet spots, even when heating the jars... Still working on that solution. It seems worse in jelly jars.

@Beth - I'm not a 415 user (464 actually but not thrilled with the HT), have you noticed what the temp is when you get ready to pour?

@Moonshine - are you still stirring the wax as it cools or just letting it sit in the pot and maybe a quick stir before pouring?

@Anyone - is C3 pour hot or slushy to get smooth tops? I seems to recall hot (165).

@Beth - I'm not a 415 user (464 actually but not thrilled with the HT), have you noticed what the temp is when you get ready to pour?

@Moonshine - are you still stirring the wax as it cools or just letting it sit in the pot and maybe a quick stir before pouring?

@Anyone - is C3 pour hot or slushy to get smooth tops? I seems to recall hot (165).

I poured C3 hotter for smooth top.

The 415 pour temp varies slightly for me. Usually I pour around 105°. I do it before slush so I can get all the wax out of the pot, lol.

I poured C3 hotter for smooth top.

The 415 pour temp varies slightly for me. Usually I pour around 105°. I do it before slush so I can get all the wax out of the pot, lol.

LOL, getting it out of the pot sounds like a great idea. Suppose one could spoon it out and then remelt in the container...nahhh

MoonShine..hi there. As a one wax person (GB464) I can tell you that my HT has improved A TON since switching to CD wicks. I know that there are FO's that absolutely will not throw in my 464 so I move on if they don't. My tops are smooth as silk with 464 (pour at 160-165) and now that I put the containers back into their original shipping container to cool I've stopped having any next to wick sink holes too. Just wanted to share so IF you want to stick with 464 you can do it knowing that someone else has been where you are :)

Hope this helps in some way.....

EDITED TO ADD: Also, just a side note. I successfully wicked the big Libbey square jar from dollar tree, to fill line its 10oz, and the HT was SUPER!! I used a CD12, slow at first with corner hang ups BUT the nice slow burn added to the great HT, I'm sure. I am at the bottom 1/4 of the container and the corner hang is GONE, some milky residue on sides but I'm OK with that. I think that since 464 is such a soft wax that it might be perfect for this container......any thoughts?

Edited by sisters3

I stirred pretty constant till it hit around 130*, I got distracted and stopped but kept checking temp and poured right at 100*- also C3 I had perfect tops pouring hotter like the 464 -around 150-140

MoonShine..hi there. As a one wax person (GB464) I can tell you that my HT has improved A TON since switching to CD wicks. I know that there are FO's that absolutely will not throw in my 464 so I move on if they don't. My tops are smooth as silk with 464 (pour at 160-165) and now that I put the containers back into their original shipping container to cool I've stopped having any next to wick sink holes too. Just wanted to share so IF you want to stick with 464 you can do it knowing that someone else has been where you are :)

Hope this helps in some way.....

EDITED TO ADD: Also, just a side note. I successfully wicked the big Libbey square jar from dollar tree, to fill line its 10oz, and the HT was SUPER!! I used a CD12, slow at first with corner hang ups BUT the nice slow burn added to the great HT, I'm sure. I am at the bottom 1/4 of the container and the corner hang is GONE, some milky residue on sides but I'm OK with that. I think that since 464 is such a soft wax that it might be perfect for this container......any thoughts?

Hey Sisters

The CD wicks are a definite hit with 464...CDN is even better AND I played with adding beeswax to it and LOVE that to! I love the tops on my 464 (I pour 140 - 150) and love everything about that wax but after testing 415 there is a big powerful difference in scent throw. The problem being it is one UGLY wax next to the 464. I dont know why I even went there- but my curiosity always gets me and now I cant stop! LOL

Congrats on the Libbey square- I have not tested in any jar but the 8 ounce square mason but do have the same at first with hang up and then at the end it goes away with little residue which does not bother me at all either. I think you are correct that 464 is good for corner jars because it does catch up at the end wicked correctly. I had issues with C3 but never went back to experimenting with it more. FYI dont ruin your Libbeys with 415- the wet spots and fugly tops will scare the jar!