Is soybean oil really safe?

Oh boy...this is not the thread I needed to read- what are the symptons? maybe I have it

I am a one of "those" that reads side effects and get everyone of them- even if I felt fine before reading them! LOL

I have never heard of those diseases but I sure hope not- I love my soy!

oil pneumonia is not really something you'd need to worry about with soy candles (I assume you are referring to soy candles) The only way to get it from it is if you suck down some wax into your lungs. If you don't suffocate first from a wax blockage then you may have an issue.

oil pneumonia is not really something you'd need to worry about with soy candles (I assume you are referring to soy candles) The only way to get it from it is if you suck down some wax into your lungs. If you don't suffocate first from a wax blockage then you may have an issue.

Sorry, but this made me totally chuckle. I almost choked on my tater tot! LOL

I've never heard of oil pneumonia, so I googled, and from the sites I read, it does in fact look like you would have to aspirate the actual wax for it to be a problem.

The type of pneumonia you refer to is caused by inhaling aerosolized oil. Soybean wax (super-hydrogenated soybean oil) is a hydrocarbon (same as any wax). When it is burned, it mainly produces carbon dioxide and water, along with a list of other compounds in minute quantities. Any uncombusted or partially combusted carbon is seen as smoke or soot. You do not need to fear oil pneumonia from burning any candle, soy, palm, paraffin or beeswax. You are in far more danger of creating and inhaling aerosolized oils by frying french fries than burning a candle.

If aerosolized oil was as dangerous as you fear, people would regularly die from frying chicken, french fries and egg rolls. There is a small amount of oil released into the air when we cook, as evidenced by the grease buildup in kitchens, exhaust fans, etc, which is why wise people cook with exhaust fans on. People with COPD or other obstructive airway diseases should not be around any type of frying, sauteeing, etc. because the smoke and particulate matter can irritate their airways causing problems for them. A simple filter mask helps a lot. Not only can aerosolized oils from cooking cause problems in sensitive individuals, but volatile oils such as pepper and other aromatic spices can launch a sensitive person into an asthmatic attack. The same holds true for use of products such as Pam, which is aerosolized oil. Turn your head when using these products if you do not want to inhale the oils or are sensitive.

But as for the chances of getting oil pneumonia from burning a soy candle, winning the lottery twice looks far more likely.

Perhaps this link will help you to understand the chemistry of burning wax better:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/candlewax.htm

Edited by Stella1952

Isn't there a better topic area for the paranoids of the world? If I have to read one more thread with someones irrelevant question about something so obviously incorrect, I think I will surely die of idiot induced pneumonia!

Was that necessary??