Four Wood Wick Questions...

So, I've been bouncing around reading threads about wood wicks, trying to get as much input as I can before I take a crack at them myself, but I still have a couple of questions...

What type of wood are these wicks usually made of? They may vary from supplier to supplier, but is there a "norm"?

When they are "treated", what are they treated with? Anyone know?

Has anyone tried them with Palm pillars or are you only supposed to use them in containers? I have read a lot of comments where people are using glass...

I am wary of their safety "level"... anyone had any dramas so far?

Thanks Guys!

We use wood wicks a lot. Popular here. We have always gotten them from Lone Star Candle Supply. Their wicks have changed several times over the past. Worst one is now. The wicks create too great a fire and blackens the glass. We have noticed different woods used in the past. There was one wick assembly last year that was great. But not at all pleased with the product we get now. Cheap. This is the first time we have been concerned with safety issues. So, there are evidently lots of wood wick sources around, but steer clear of Lone Star

Same here. I got the sample pack from candlewic also. Not sure when I'll have a chance to test them though but won't be trying them in palm wax. Will use igi 6006 because I think I read on the website that parasoy works best for wood wicks.

Thanks for your feed back guys!!!

I am waiting for a few 6mm ones (small), from a supplier here in Au. For the most part, I'm expecting that they might be hard to keep lit (this seemed the most "common" complaint about them), but it's always nice to try something different & I have been asked by a few people now, if I'll be making them.

@David... heartening that you use these a lot & seem to have them nailed. It's incredibly frustrating though, that your supply keeps changing =( Thanks for passing on what to avoid, because if the ones I get here are no good, I'll order from the US & would be peeved if I got a dud batch from there too! I was thinking they must be made from a hard wood (to keep the burn slow/ low) but I imagine it would have to be fairly porous too, to absorb wax to a certain extent as well. No idea- that was just a theory!

@Jillsthings... yep- let me know! I'll post too, when I've had a go... good luck!

@dnj... I decided to try them in palm first =D ! From what I have read, they are difficult in Soy, so I'm avoiding that to start with anyway.

Can't believe it's so hard to get information on how these wicks are made etc etc.

& talking of wax... has anyone tried them in beeswax???

I have mainly been using the kind from Bitter Creek North, and they do not appear to have any kind of treatment on them. I am not sure what type of wood it is, but it appears to be an American soft wood. I have a bunch of wicks from BCN if you'd like me to send you some.

I have tried another type (I believe it is the same type as Lonestar and others) and those are treated with something, but I am not positive what it is. They felt oily, and if you left the wick out it would appear to dry out. I didn't test/compare the dried out wicks with the fresh ones since I switched over to the BCN wicks.

As for wooden wicks in palm and glass containers, I haven't tried it myself. It is possible that the combination may be too hot for a glass container, but won't know til it's tested.

Good luck! I'm interested to hear about your results.

Hey jonsie, hows tricks? ;)

Thanks very much for the info & descriptions. Funny how when you test, you "hear" comments you've read here, as you go along, so I'm sure all will come in handy.

It is proving hard to find "real" info... like what the wicks are primed with. Funny it's an oily feel but then dries out. Hmmm...

Don't know if the ones I'm getting are primed or not... was wondering how eucalyptus wood would go if I ever wanted to make my own!!

Agreed, from what I read, that container size could be an issue, but good to know what to look out for (AND think about beforehand!)

Think I'll try something impossibly wide to start with... "swamp" the wick & see how far it burns out. Again... have to weigh that up.

Will definately post back about results, but I'm flat stick at work for another couple of weeks- no test time for me til then =(

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Have you seen the new wood wicks the Big candle company has come out with? They are X shaped and look like a thicker wood, just not as wide.

I used the x-large wood wick from BCN in Soy 435,3 1/2" jar. It burned way too hot, out of wicks so can't try again for now. I thought I saw where a wick manufacture

had some but now I can't find it.

Sharon, I'm visiting the U.S. right now for the first time in over a year and couldn't believe it when I saw their new wick! Hmmm, I may have to buy one to test it but I can only imagine it will be a massive flame.

Sparks, I created my little candle business around wooden wicks and only offered them at the beginning. Customers seemed to have a hard time lighting them so I have started to offer all my scents with regular wicks. I'm loving the regular wicks now and have lost interest (well, most of it) in doing any more wooden wicks.