I learned two lessons tonight

I learned two BIG lessons tonight:

1. I now understand CLEARLY why glue dots suck! The first candles I poured last week, I had no problem. But tonight, my wicks kept coming loose when I poured the wax in the jar. Super frustrating. I'll be going to the hardware store in the morning for something a bit stronger LOL.

and

2. Making candles is a lot harder than I thought it would be!!!!! But I am determined to stick with it. I refuse to let a little bit of wax beat me :laugh2:.

Do you have a large, lazy cat around? For some reason they seem to help. Our resident pet, Moose, just has to be underfoot whenever I pour, and many other board members have similar issues. Perhaps you need a feline friend for some good cat karma! LOL...jk...just don't give up.

Agree...glue dots are a joke. Get yourself a dual temp glue gun. Saves a ton of headaches, and tell us your stress issues with some details, and we will try to help you out. If you are messing with soy, be prepared for many issues...it's a tricky bit#h to tame, but is amazing when you succeed. Just remember: every FO and dye combo tests different. Take time to get it right. HTH!

No more large lazy cats in my house to assist me. They have both moved on to kitty heaven, where rivers flow with milk! But I do have a half deaf old dog and 4 children! They are always great assistants as well :laugh2:.

I am using soy, and other than the glue dots, I haven't had any major problems- a little frosting, a couple of wet spots from the temperature change, but overall, I'm doing well. I have been reading and reading and reading here like crazy, which helps a lot. And, my kids think I'm totally cool, because I made a couple of candles :cool2:.

Edited by periwinkle

But tonight, my wicks kept coming loose when I poured the wax in the jar

Imagine what they'd do while burning at the end...

For testing hot glue is a good choice, but not for selling or gifting.

You can use glue dots, hot glue, spit, ANYTHING you wish for testing, but for selling or gifting, the ONLY substance I have ever used which has adhered 100% of the time is Permatex High Temp Silicon gasket maker (red).

It helps to wash your glassware - both for wax to glass adhesion and for glue to glass adhesion.

Edited by Stella1952

I've used hot glue for the past 5 years and I have had quite a few failures where the glue softened or let go at the end of a candle. It only takes ONE TIME for me to replace a product for safety reasons. I love it for testing but I would not put out a candle for sale or gifting with it.

Imagine what they'd do while burning at the end...

For testing hot glue is a good choice, but not for selling or gifting.

You can use glue dots, hot glue, spit, ANYTHING you wish for testing, but for selling or gifting, the ONLY substance I have ever used which has adhered 100% of the time is Permatex High Temp Silicon gasket maker (red).

It helps to wash your glassware - both for wax to glass adhesion and for glue to glass adhesion.

One of my first few posts, I said something about the glue dots, and you said they were no good. I thought "Pffft... why would the candle company put them in my kit if they were no good!?!?" I still am not sure why they would provide them, or sell them even. But I know I won't use them again. I am a LONG way from ever gifting or selling a candle, if I even decide to go that route. Seems like it would be a fun way to make money, but I have a serious lack of follow through (lol)... so we'll see what happens.

And yes, I had read several posts about washing jars, so I did :cheesy2:

What's even more surprising than a company that puts glue dots in a kit is a company that sends you an email showing you their new candle making videos and one of them tells you to pour the wax in the jar first and then put the wick in....I'm still flabbergasted...and this is from a major supplier. I've also seen instructions from a "reputable" company telling you to pour wax into a votive holder and then when it starts to firm up, stick in a piece of wick...no base, just wicking.

instructions from a "reputable" company telling you to pour wax into a votive holder and then when it starts to firm up, stick in a piece of wick...no base, just wicking

People used to do it that way before wick assemblies and wick pins became popular and many still do.

Candlemaking has undergone some evolutionary changes over the years. Container candles were not popular until relatively recently. There were basically pillars, tapers, and votives. Each has its own method of wicking. When container candles became popular, the wicking methods changed to accommodate high-production manufacturing. Thirty years ago, there were no "tarts" and "melts" which are very popular now because of electric melting devices. Products and methods change and evolve, but the older methods do still work.

How we make handmade candles in a small production operation is very different from modern mass-production candlemaking methods. While it may seem odd to see instructions and demonstrations like the ones mentioned above, they all represent different methods of achieving the same end. I find it fascinating to learn about the different ways that are employed to make candles. I think some methods are safer and, thus "better," than are others, but other methods focus more on high production, which is also important to a candlemaking business.

why would the candle company put them in my kit if they were no good!?!?" I still am not sure why they would provide them, or sell them even

People did not use to use anything to affix wick tabs to the container - they were placed in cooling wax as described above. Chandlers became annoyed at wicks pulling out of tabs when they were straightened and pulled taut. The wick tabs would "wander" at the end of the candle rather than just fall over and extinguish. This caused a safety issue. So someone had the idea that foam-backed adhesive double-stick "dots" would work. And they do work, but they don't work well 100% of the time. Safety was still an issue when chandlers noticed that the "self-extinguishing" wick tabs did not always self extinguish because the holes made in them to crimp the wick tightly allowed liquid wax to continue feeding the wick, defeating the self extinguishing properties of the wick tab. Then it was noted that if the wick was not sealed at the bottom, the wick would continue to suck liquid wax up from underneath up through the neck of the wick tab, also defeating the self-extinguishing idea. So then it became important for the wick tab to be sealed securely to the bottom of the container. It's product evolution at work...

The glue dots I use I have never had a problem with them coming loose ever

I have never tested ANY adhesive wick stickers or glue dots of any brand that did not soften or release at some point, some time. Because an adhered, sealed wick tab is a safety issue, for me the adhesive has to work 100% of the time. Even high temp hot glue can soften and release, although not as often as do wick stickers and glue dots. One wandering wick is all that it takes to cause injury from a shattered container or a fire. I am not willing to take that risk, but the standards of others may vary.

Edited by Stella1952

I totally agree with you, Stella...safety first for me, too. I've had wicks come loose while pouring and while burning when I've used a high-temp glue gun.

If you use a high-temp glue gun (on the High setting) and high temp glue sticks on clean glass, you should not have a problem. I had that happen to me too, but either the glue gun wasn't on HIGH, I had the wrong glue sticks in it or I had dirty glass. I can burn to the bitter end and they still don't float around if applied right.

I'm glad you have not had an issue, IWIG, but I have on several occasions. I am aware of how to obtain best adhesion but at the end of a container where temps are hot, the glue can soften and release. I posted a photo recently of just such a failure to illustrate what happens when a wick tab gets loose and wanders. Just for grins, I found this site which sells hot glue products.

http://www.pro-glue-sticks.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/beaa0b1dc653bd6892e477cf8d64a573.html

Specifications:

- Recommended application temp.: 370 degrees F

- Softening point: 180 degrees F

http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/a71af61e645762e8ba2b279ad8750c9a.html

Specifications:

- Recommended application temp.: 370 degrees F

- Softening point: 180 degrees F

- Open time: approx. 40 seconds

I've used hot glue for the past 5 years and I have had quite a few failures where the glue softened or let go at the end of a candle. It only takes ONE TIME for me to replace a product for safety reasons. I love it for testing but I would not put out a candle for sale or gifting with it.

Did you use only high temp glue with a high temp gun? That is what I use and haven't had any problems yet. I know you swear by the silicone Stella but just wondering.

I am debating about these glue pots a couple suppliers carry. Haven't bought one yet but I'm close to giving it a try. They seem sooo convenient but I am leery about the glue quality. Would save me from a lot of burned finger tips too.

*edit*...Stella....see you posted high temp failures before I got my reply typed and submitted.

Edited by jeanie353