Oops!

I think I got a little overzealous pre-heating my jars...when I went to twist the wicks before pouring, a few of them slid right out of the tabs. Grrrr.....:angry2: The lowest temp on my oven is 170, but I leave the door partially open and usually only have them in their for a few minutes...apparently a few minutes too long this time. Although I did just buy these wicks from a new supplier. Hm. Just wanted to share this little mishap. :smiley2:

Edited by Catlover

oh, it's a toss up between supplier and heat. The little thingy you need is a jewelry bead crimper from your local hobby store with a 40% off coupon.

I've done it a few times too. (But, I also think heating your jars is a waste of time and energy...)

Thanks! A crimper will be on my list. Heating the jars is something I only do for the ones that tend to frost a lot--vanilla or cinnamon-based ones especially. I also wonder if it really makes that much of a difference; they look good for a few days, but they still end up getting a little splotchy once they're cured. I had to go with clear labels so everyone can see every flaw!

But, at least the wicks pulled out before I poured the wax (been there and don't want to revisit)! :)

Edited by Catlover

a few of them slid right out of the tabs

Don't buy from that supplier again. You are learning that the same wicks from different suppliers can perform very differently depending on the care with which they are primed and tabbed.

Crimping your own may work fine for making a few candles, but for production, this is a complete waste of time. A good supplier can save hours of labor because their equipment is far more consistent than hand-crimping & home priming.