wick tab and fo

hello all I would like to read up on wick tabs and fo, but I do not know how to word it to search for it:confused: so I will try to explain..here it goes, I read on here that if there is to much FO that it can cause problems with the wick at the base? with the FO getting in the wick from underneath? not sure can someone please help me out...STELLA,BETH,CANDYBEE!!!!SOMEONE PLEASE!(THESE WERE THE NAMES I SAW ONLINE NOW:smiley2:)

I use duel temperature glue sticks and a heat gun. I get them at the local hardware store. The wicks stick so well I have to pry them off if I want to reuse a jar. If you decide to use glue sticks make sure you get the kind that can take high temperatures. BTW-- I use palm wax and pour very hot into the jars. Never had a wick come loose when pouring or when burning.

I know others have their own method but thats what I use. HTH

Edited by Candybee

I use duel temperature glue sticks and a heat gun. I get them at the local hardware store. The wicks stick so well I have to pry them off if I want to reuse a jar. If you decide to use glue sticks make sure you get the kind that can take high temperatures. BTW-- I use palm wax and pour very hot into the jars. Never had a wick come loose when pouring or when burning.

I know others have their own method but thats what I use. HTH

Thank you Candybee, but have you every heard of any FO getting under the wick tab? I just want to know what to look for because i'm not sure.I do use a high temp hot glue gun it was not that expensive, should I get the sticks from a hardware store so that the quality can be better?

Thank you Candybee, but have you every heard of any FO getting under the wick tab? I just want to know what to look for because i'm not sure.I do use a high temp hot glue gun it was not that expensive, should I get the sticks from a hardware store so that the quality can be better?

It's the wax itself that can get under the wicktab if it's not attached very well. I haven't had that happen & I use the wick stickers from CandleMakersStore. http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/c=LYOAR29Eee1EtDvJH9fCKXo4q/category/wickstickers/

I read on here that if there is to much FO that it can cause problems with the wick at the base? with the FO getting in the wick from underneath?
Not exactly, but kinda sorta close... If the wicktab is not sealed to the bottom of the container, when the wax becomes liquid at the end of the burn, the wick will continue burning because it can draw fuel from underneath the tab instead of extinguishing at the top of it. Most glues (including the high temp hot glue I have used) soften or let go when the temperature rises enough. I use Permatex High Temp Silicon Gasket Sealer (red) available from auto parts stores.

Here's a recent thread started by you where we discussed this and I posted a photo of a glass glow palm wax candle whose wick tab (glued with high temp hot glue) had failed:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?101020-Its-in-transit!!&p=929116#post929116

I haven't had that happen & I use the wick stickers
I have seen quite a few failures from all hot glues and wick stickers I have tested (in both soy and palm waxes) except for Permatex. It is the ONLY adhesive product I have tested that has worked 100% of the time. Not all failures are as dramatic as the one in the photo - most of the time, the wick either wanders only slightly or the wick fails to self extinguish; however, if the jar had popped due to overheating, the photo would have been more dramatic. One failure is one too many for me. I have seen many more than one with other adhesives.

Available at auto parts stores everywhere. Click here to see what it looks like.

Edited by Stella1952

Not exactly, but kinda sorta close... If the wicktab is not sealed to the bottom of the container, when the wax becomes liquid at the end of the burn, the wick will continue burning because it can draw fuel from underneath the tab instead of extinguishing at the top of it. Most glues (including the high temp hot glue I have used) soften or let go when the temperature rises enough. I use Permatex High Temp Silicon Gasket Sealer (red) available from auto parts stores.

Here's a recent thread started by you where we discussed this and I posted a photo of a glass glow palm wax candle whose wick tab (glued with high temp hot glue) had failed:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?101020-Its-in-transit!!&p=929116#post929116

I have seen quite a few failures from all hot glues and wick stickers I have tested (in both soy and palm waxes) except for Permatex. It is the ONLY adhesive product I have tested that has worked 100% of the time. Not all failures are as dramatic as the one in the photo - most of the time, the wick either wanders only slightly or the wick fails to self extinguish; however, if the jar had popped due to overheating, the photo would have been more dramatic. One failure is one too many for me. I have seen many more than one with other adhesives.

Available at auto parts stores everywhere. Click here to see what it looks like.

YES YES YES..THANK YOU STELLA thats the picture i kept seeing in my head as I looked at the candles im testing, I got so neverous and blew them all out because I could not remember what could or would happen...thank you all, Stella, Beth and Candybee, I understand now