Co & c3?

I haven't experienced in the other 2 waxes this phenomenon that looks like cauliflower after the C3 has been burning...I've tried it w/o and with CO (using 1/2 tsp per 12oz) and still see this lumpy growth :tongue2:...should I try 1 tsp per 12 oz or will this make it too oily? TIA

NatureWax C3 doesn't NEED an 8.5% FO load nor does it tolerate that load well.

Cauliflowering is a result of too much FO and bad handling/pouring/storage.

You can add all the CO you wish but it will not compensate for poor handling/pouring/storage. Please review C3 threads on this site. All the answers you need to resolve this issue are there.

Thanks Stella, I've been reading dozens of threads on C3 and I'm just in the beginning phase of testing C3. I did try your last suggestions as far as pouring(160*) and cooling slower and it definetly helped with the wet spots. I used 8.5% only because I have so many 1 oz trial sizes and its easier to pour 1 in with each 12 oz wax I make for testers. I will cut back on next tester and see if it helps...I did read in much older threads how you and some others have never experienced this w/ C3, so I will try that tonight. Thanks again!

1 oz f.o per lb of wax is usually the standard. If it's easier for you to use a 1 oz sample bottle of f.o per batch, than weigh out the oil to suit a 12 oz container,just start heating enough wax for 16 oz(1 lb) instead.You will have 4 extra ounces but it will save you the headache of weighing the oil correctly.Maybe find a container to fit your leftover and test in that too.Good luck =-)

I used 8.5% only because I have so many 1 oz trial sizes and its easier to pour 1 in with each 12 oz wax I make for testers

It's easier to WEIGH the amount of FO used in testers to be sure. It DOES make a difference.

To ASS-U-ME that there really IS 1 weighed oz. FO in a tester is setting yourself up for headscratching in the future...

If something doesn't throw well, was it because it's a dud FO or because it was inaccurately weighed? :rolleyes2

Ummmm... 12 oz. = 3/4 oz. FO... 8 oz. = 1/2 oz. FO... 16 oz = 1 oz FO...

is there something difficult about that?

You will have 4 extra ounces but it will save you the headache of weighing the oil correctly

I'm sorry, but if one is going to make decent candles, one does have to put up with the "headache" of weighing correctly... :rolleyes2

I'm always curious about other's calculations. Do you use 16 oz of wax and 1 oz of FO for a total of 17 ounces? Or do you use 15 oz of wax and 1 oz for a total of 16 ounces. That does effect the percentage. I try to use as little FO as possible that will give me maximum throw so my tart FO recipes are all over the place. Curious what option candle makers use when they say "1oz pp"

No, I don't have difficulty with measuring, weighing, percentages, etc...but yes, I did assume that the 1 oz trial sizes were actually 1 weighed ounce. CBA and GB464 can take more fo w/o the complications that I'm seeing with the C3, and I'm finding as I go along that no two waxes are the same by any means...trial and error. Appreciate the feedback-I'm determined to find my way with the C3 icon11.gif

Curious what option candle makers use when they say "1oz pp"
It means only ONE thing, AW... Maybe it would help if we write that out longhand in words...

One ounce of FO per Pound of wax. That means for each pound of wax, we add one ounce of FO.

How many ounces in a POUND?
:confused:

If you said 16, you are CORRECT!!!
:yay:

So if you add 1 ounce to 16 ounces, how much is the total?
:confused:

If you said 17, you are CORRECT!!!
:yay:

1 weighed oz. of FO added to 1 weighed pound of wax (16 oz.) equals 17 weighed ounces of scented wax.

1 oz. is 5.88% of a TOTAL of 17 ounces.

1 oz. PP is a 5.88% FO load .

Adding 1 oz. to 15 ounces of wax equals 16 total ounces or a 6.25% FO load. This is NOT 1 oz. PP

Does this make it clearer for you?

Play with the numbers to see how this works here:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm

Edited by Stella1952

Can't speak for anyone else, but I weigh one pound of wax and I weigh 1 ounce of FO. I add the FO to the melted wax, at the right temp for my wax. Hence the "1 oz pp". The 1oz. samples of FO very often are off the mark, so I believe you should still weigh them. It's a cinch to do and it's to your advantage to weigh everything. HTH

[QUOTE=AlwaysWondering;930809]I'm always curious about other's calculations. Do you use 16 oz of wax and 1 oz of FO for a total of 17 ounces? Or do you use 15 oz of wax and 1 oz for a total of 16 ounces. That does effect the percentage. I try to use as little FO as possible that will give me maximum throw so my tart FO recipes are all over the place. Curious what option candle makers use when they say "1oz pp"