Why do some jar sizes frost more than others?

This seems like a silly question but do you find that some jars tend to frost more than others?? This is what I'm finding when comparing the 8oz jelly to the 16oz mason. I can pour the same day, same temps, same FO, same dyes, same wax, cool on the same rack in the same room and get frosting in the jellies and not in the masons. What is up with that? I'm thinking it's because the jellies are cooling too fast because they're smaller.....

Thoughts?

Do you mean wet spots (loss of adhesion from jar wall)? The masons are thicker glass than the jellies but more than likely you have shrinkage and you could slow that down by placing in a large cardboard box and covering with an old quilt or blanket. Place the jars far enough apart that they don't effect each others cooling. HTH

Steve

Thanks for the response....wet spots are involved too but I was more concerned with the frosting. I think you're both right.....need to slow down the cooling....I already cover all jars with a box so may pour a bit hotter for the jellies. It's getting cooler in my workshop too which probably isn't helping...

Brenda, the cooling rate is different for the two containers. You may need to vary your pouring temp or do something about cooling... You didn't mention melting/pouring temps so I have no idea what to suggest as to whether you should cool slower or more rapidly, or pour hotter or cooler. Each container has its own dynamics, which makes it important to vary your handling slightly to accommodate the needs of the wax in each container.

Repoured at 160-165F in the jelly jars and got a much better result...previously had poured approx 145-150F.......

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. My brain doesn't always adjust for the seasons in new england when it comes to adjusting pouring temps...