Solutions To Curing in Cold Garage

Hello all! Need some opinions here if you don't mind.

My workshop is in my garage, its pretty big, enough room for suv and workshop with some room to spare. It has an electric wall heater so that I can get it comfortable to work in. However, due to both safety and expense I do not consider leaving the heat on during curing/cooling an option. I have had little problems with frosting, tunneling at wick, etc. but that was in the summer months.

So, here are my thoughts. #1 Heat lamps clamped onto (4) edges of curing table OR cure the candles on my warming tray (its big, used to keep casseroles warm at buffet table)

I make container candles, GB464. Your thoughts?

Thank so much!

Your wax has a recommended storage temperature range. The candles and wax should optimally be stored within that range. When MAKING candles, depending on the type of wax you are using (I don't know about paraffin), but soy and palm wax don't perform well when poured in a really cold environment. Normal room temperature at least...

#1 Heat lamps clamped onto (4) edges of curing table OR cure the candles on my warming tray (its big, used to keep casseroles warm at buffet table)

Now let's THINK about that... HEAT LAMPS, WARMING TRAY? Ummm...MELTING WAX??? Surrounded by much cooler air, which creates air currents because of the temperature gradient... This doesn't sound at ALL like a recipe for success... You live up there in BLIZZARDLAND!!! If your garage isn't well insulated and heated, I don't think it's a good workspace for candlemaking. Do you have a basement? Is there an indoor corner or space where you could pour? Many of us reluctantly do this in our kitchens...

Hi Stella, thanks.

On a side note: You may remember from another post that I was out of town and my newly poured "babies" were left in the garage. When I got home I move all the inventory inside. Cleaned out a big closet and everything fit very nicely. They looked great after an hour or two in the warmth.

As for my "ideas" I was hoping that the warmth would "slow down" the cooling of the candles so they don't cool too rapidly. I do have a finished basement that I did consider, its my gym but I guess that I could fit down there BUT there is no heat there at all. So in the deep winter months it could be as cold as the garage maybe. I just did not care for moving the work inside the house because of all the scents, etc. I really wanted to figure out a way to stay in the garage to work but the candles will cool way too fast. Maybe I will leave the heat on until they have "set", trim the wick, put the lid on and into the house they come?? The wall heater get the garage so warm that I can work in short sleeves.

The wall heater get the garage so warm that I can work in short sleeves.

You folks have antifreeze in your arteries! An indoor BONFIRE wouldn't be warm enough for me to wear short sleeves in a garage up there in the wintertime...

Just play with it and see what works... I foresee wet spots, syneresis, cellulite tops, and frosting... but what do I know? I live in the gulf south!

Ah, come on, you could handle it :) Well maybe after a winter or two.....

I will be running my "winter season" pour tests this week, we'll see. I think I will first try the heat lamps, like the ones they use for little chicks, so I know it won't be too hot. But.....we'll see :)

Thanks!

Maybe set up a temporary pouring table inside the house. You can still melt wax and do all the messy stuff in your garage but bring your pour pot inside to pour the candles and let them cool. Not sure if this is an option for you or how many candles you're trying to pour at one time. If its only a dozen or two, they shouldn't take up much room and would cool in an hour or two, ready for packing away.

I second the idea of pouring in the house. Sounds like even though you can heat the basement and garage that the heat would be anything but uniform. This would most likely cause uneven cooling in candles poured in those environments. I suppose you could have a big insulated box built that would cover the newly poured candles but inside still sounds like the best option.

Thanks so much, I am beginning to swing towards the inside pour as well. We have a Christmas show that we are finishing inventory for along with 2 rather large "custom label" orders to do and then that is it for the big orders.

I have not tried the inverted box (or thermal box) method yet, I have some testing do do this week and may try it.

Thanks again very much!